Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,334 replies · 3M views
sbrothy said:
That looks a little like North Korea (or perhaps the harsh upbringing of Japanese salarymen)

The most severe consequence of life as a salaryman is a phenomenon called karoshi, or death by overwork. The first recorded instance of karoshi occurred in 1969 when an employee at a newspaper company died of a stroke at age 29.

From the link above.

At a job I had (The one where we sold dictaphones, along with their programming, including the entire backend, to Chinese hospitals), we had a female exchange student from China. Sometimes she would stay in her seat 40-50+ hours. At times she would simply sit upright and sleep for a couple of hours. That was pretty eerie.

EDIT: In fact, thinking back, I'm pretty sure she was some kind of intelligence. That would explain why she virtually lived in the office. She probably wasn't even sleeping when she was "sleeping". And I bet her "bad English" was an act.

EDIT2: I'm older and more cynical now. Does it show? :woot:

EDIT3: I don't know if you've noticed but assessing the age of a young Chinese person is rather difficult.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
20221114_212815.webp
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, DennisN, davenn and 2 others
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and BillTre
IMG_1461.webp
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, DennisN, Ivan Seeking and 3 others
fresh_42 said:

reminds me of "Before I get my morning coffee, the world is nothing but a-holes. But AFTER I get my coffee, the world is still full of a-holes but, HEY ... I've got coffee !"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint, WWGD, Ibix and 2 others
Two conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.
You can't tell me that was just a coincidence.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: dextercioby, Ivan Seeking, jack action and 6 others
Pierre-Joseph Proudhon wrote a little tome called Property is Theft. I think it's part of the anarchist canon along with people like Bakunin. It pretty funny in a old desiccated way.

EDIT: I seem to remember the argument going something like: "Why should I own a car? There are a plenty of them everywhere. Alas, could we just all get along." You know, like anarchism generally. :woot:

EDIT: Oh, I hope this isn't too political. I'm not starting a discussion. Just pointing out an old book.
 
Last edited:
Ibix said:
In the vein of "best things in life are free", I'd love to see an estimate of how much money capitalists have made from selling things emblazoned with that photo of Comrade Che.
I've seen $3,000+ Macs with stickers of his face on them. Next to $7 Starbucks iced drinks.
 
sbrothy said:
Pierre-Joseph Proudhon wrote a little tome called Property is Theft. I think it's part of the anarchist canon along with people like Bakunin. It pretty funny in a old desiccated way.

EDIT: I seem to remember the argument going something like: "Why should I own a car? There are a plenty of them everywhere. Alas, could we just all get along."
Fidel preferred a yacht. Like my college friends who wanted to abolish private property. Until they bought their first car.
 
WWGD said:
Fidel preferred a yacht. Like my college friends who wanted to abolish private property. Until they bought their first car.

In this town we had a bar called Zeke's (from Charlie Christensen's Arne Anka) where punk, goth and anarchy types would meet and agree with Proudhon. Now apropos cars you could eat for free if you gave them the hood ornament from a Mercedes. They had hundreds of them. The entire town must've been scourged. I'm sure a lot of Mercedes owners were livid!
 
Hilariously, one of these alternative types describing himself as a "garbage punker" (is the closest I can come), decided to hang a desecrated Danish flag in his window for all to see. He just hadn't considered where he lived which was one of the most hardcore ghettos in Copenhagen. The leader of the HOA (a second generation immigrant from Pakistan) filmed himself going up to him and scolding him, naturally asking who he thought would get the blame when some news team saw it!

That was pretty funny. I have no idea what he thought he was doing.

EDIT: Well, I've veered enough off-topic I think. Sorry.
EDIT2: Oh wait, I thought I was in the Today I Learned thread. I guess I am kinda on topic then.
 
sbrothy said:
Hilariously, one of these alternative types describing himself as a "garbage punker" (is the closest I can come), decided to hang a desecrated Danish flag in his window for all to see. He just hadn't considered where he lived which was one of the most hardcore ghettos in Copenhagen. The leader of the HOA (a second generation immigrant from Pakistan) filmed himself going up to him and scolding him, naturally asking who he thought would get the blame when some news team saw it!

That was pretty funny. I have no idea what he thought he was doing.

EDIT: Well, I've veered enough off-topic I think. Sorry.
EDIT2: Oh wait, I thought I was in the Today I Learned thread. I guess I am kinda on topic then.
I always think of an elephant called Stan. Paqui( derm). Stan. I imagine the hard core areas of Copenhagen being like the wealthy areas in many countries.
 
WWGD said:
I always think of an elephant called Stan. Paqui( derm). Stan. I imagine the hard core areas of Copenhagen being like the wealthy areas in many countries.
I sincerely hope for you that you wont get lost in one then. You'd be in for one unfunny lesson.

EDIT: Some areas are off-limit to the police and the fire department (go figure).
EDIT2: By which I mean that fire fighters will have police escort in tactical gear carrying HK-MP5s
 
fresh_42 said:
Yes! Beware of the Olsen Gang!
Yeah they were popular. Especially in Eastern Europe. Then DDR, Poland, you name 'em. By now they're a little... dated. The essence of Denmark is the TV series Matador. I bet they're not done with that.

10/10

Fantastic TV show - Get it on UK TV Now!​


I have to agree with all the rest of the Reviews. Matador has to be one of the best TV shows ever made. All the actors are the cream of the Danish acting world. The Director was the best in the business for bringing Danish Life to Life, so to speak. I am amazed it has not been shown on British TV as it is very comparable to that other magnificent British TV drama "When The Boat Comes in" I would be hard pushed to say which one was better. But Matador has a longer run and does manage to cover the German occupation of Denmark. Which will be an eye opener to the British public if shown on British TV. So I do hope somebody gets the courage to show this on UK TV. As it is just a great TV Drama about families and the stress of the new on old ideas and values. So it still has something for today's TV audience. I have never got tired of watching it. Its called Matador because that is the Danish name for the board game Monopoly.

Wow. Praise.
 
fresh_42 said:
Yes! Beware of the Olsen Gang!
Olsen Twins? That's an old show.
 
So who's first, the empty set notation or the Danish ##\varnothing## ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dextercioby and sbrothy
sbrothy said:
Oh wait, I thought I was in the Today I Learned thread. I guess I am kinda on topic then.

"Today I Learned I was not on the Today I Learned thread".