Collection of Lame Jokes
- Thread starter quddusaliquddus
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,335 replies · 3M views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
- 20,819
- 28,467
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2025 Award
- 16,110
- 8,522
In Pittsburgh, it's "yinz" not "youse". And down South (US) it's "y'all".fresh_42 said:
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
In the post-modernistic classic (and to be blatantly honest, quite puerile) book The Illuminatus! the authors claim the upper limit for the number of possible conspirators is 5, because the possible internal person-to-person combinations grow almost exponentially:WWGD said:
2 * 1 = 2
3 *2 * 1 = 6
4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 24
5 * 4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 120
6 * 5 * 4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 720
7 * 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 5040
8 * 7 * 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 40320
Personally I'd argue for a lower number but there you go.
- 19,385
- 15,622
I don't get your point. The number of internal person-to-person combinations is utterly irrelevant. What matters is the EXTERNAL communication of any of the members with people no in the group.sbrothy said:In the post-modernistic classic (and to be blatantly honest, quite puerile) book The Illuminatus! the authors claim the upper limit for the number of possible conspirators is 5, because the possible internal person-to-person combinations grow almost exponentially:
2 * 1 = 2
3 *2 * 1 = 6
4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 24
5 * 4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 120
6 * 5 * 4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 720
7 * 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 5040
8 * 7 * 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 40320
Personally I'd argue for a lower number but there you go.
Two people can keep a secret but only if one of them is dead.
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
Yeah, I may not remember the book as well as I thought. It has been a while. It's not one you read when you've reached a certain age....phinds said:I don't get your point. The number of internal person-to-person combinations is utterly irrelevant. What matters is the EXTERNAL communication of any of the members with people no in the group.
Two people can keep a secret but only if one of them is dead.
- 13,926
- 16,804
Those numbers are too high - in a full network each of the n people connects to n-1 people, so there are only n(n-1) connections, not n!.sbrothy said:In the post-modernistic classic (and to be blatantly honest, quite puerile) book The Illuminatus! the authors claim the upper limit for the number of possible conspirators is 5, because the possible internal person-to-person combinations grow almost exponentially:
2 * 1 = 2
3 *2 * 1 = 6
4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 24
5 * 4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 120
6 * 5 * 4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 720
7 * 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 5040
8 * 7 * 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 *2 * 1 = 40320
Personally I'd argue for a lower number but there you go.
Five is a mystic number in that series, which is very much into numerology. Although it also points out how silly this is and how it's used to manipulate the characters.
Fnord.
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
Yeah, I'm aware the book's handling of statistics is closer to the number 23, but I really didn't want to go too deep into it if I was the only "disciple". I forgot how ubiquitous (I almost wrote "effervescent" here. I must be getting really tired!) it was/is.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,098
Timely...
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
A Farmer in Cornwall see's a bloke drinking from his stream & shouts, "Wozzon! Ee dun wanna be drinkin dat, it's full of horse pi$$ an cow dung".
The bloke says "I'm from London and just purchased a property in the village can you speak bit slower please".
The Farmer replies "If - you -use - two - hands - you - won't - spill - any"!
The bloke says "I'm from London and just purchased a property in the village can you speak bit slower please".
The Farmer replies "If - you -use - two - hands - you - won't - spill - any"!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2025 Award
- 16,110
- 8,522
Better than fried okra, anyway.WWGD said:
Similar threads
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
- BillTre
- · Replies 4 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 4
- jedishrfu
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- BadgerBadger92
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 1
- Sciencemaster
- · Replies 33 ·
- Linear and Abstract Algebra
- Replies
- 33
- jtbell
- · Replies 188 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 188
- smart_worker
- · Replies 7 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 7
- psie
- · Replies 3 ·
- Topology and Analysis
- Replies
- 3
- JT Smith
- · Replies 12 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 12
- russellsh2
- · Replies 8 ·
- Mechanical Engineering
- Replies
- 8