Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,335 replies · 3M views
fresh_42 said:
I once asked British people how they pronounce router. The result was ambiguous. I'm glad we don't have such problems with g. I would say, that it had to be the same as in gift. On the other hand, there is round and wound. I like Shaw's example of how to pronounce ghot (fish).
Some pronounce route as 'root', which is confusing to me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Some pronounce route as 'root', which is confusing to me.
If you grew up with English and French as second and third languages, you probably would be confused if it weren't a question. 'rooter' comes in far more naturally to me than "rowter". And it isn't Rowte 66, isn't it?
 
fresh_42 said:
I once asked British people how they pronounce router.
Rooter. Route is pronounced root. The Americans pronounce route like we pronounce rout.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint
Ibix said:
Rooter. Route is pronounced root. The Americans pronounce route like we pronounce rout.
Yes, that was the majority opinion, but some were not sure about it. And I asked IT people!
 
fresh_42 said:
Yes, that was the majority opinion, but some were not sure about it. And I asked IT people!
I knew of someone who referred to IT as in the pronoun "It". That was pretty confusion. But we wouldn't use " 9 is the square route of 81".
 
20220622_120424.webp
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and jack action
WWGD said:
1760323467951.webp
running off with your meme.webp
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy, WWGD and BillTre
Ibix said:
Rooter. Route is pronounced root. The Americans pronounce route like we pronounce rout.
Got into an argument with a Radio Shack guy about this.

I called it a "rooter". He felt the need to correct me.
 
DaveC426913 said:
Got into an argument with a Radio Shack guy about this.

I called it a "rooter". He felt the need to correct me.
A roto rooter, maybe? Unclog your toilet or send packets through the web?
 
News flash: in a forthcoming MacOS update, Apple will replace "empty the trash" with "flush the toilet."
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and BillTre
As front-end developers we are often tasked with making a prototype for clients so they can see how the software is intended to perform.

Because it's still in a demo stage, there is no back-end or database developed yet. To get it to behave realistically, we often have to use a lot of tricks, hand-waving and magic.

That's why it's called a Poof of Concept.
 
CSS developers have it easy when dealing with sizing units. CSS will accept a wide variety of units, such as px, em, rem, %, etc.

But there are pitfalls. I once meant to set a heading to 20px but accidentally typed pc and now my title reaches to Sirius.
 
DaveC426913 said:
As front-end developers we are often tasked with making a prototype for clients so they can see how the software is intended to perform.

Because it's still in a demo stage, there is no back-end or database developed yet. To get it to behave realistically, we often have to use a lot of tricks, hand-waving and magic.

That's why it's called a Poof of Concept.

I'm assigning you the project of writing a song for " Front end Boys and Backend Girls". Cool?
 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and DaveC426913
1760468215349.webp
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy, jtbell, BillTre and 1 other person
I went to Baghdad to get Iraq Lobster. Afghanistan is between Iraq ad a hard place.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
I went to Baghdad to get Iraq Lobster. Afghanistan is between Iraq ad a hard place.
1000009635.gif
 
WWGD said:
I knew of someone who referred to IT as in the pronoun "It". That was pretty confusion. But we wouldn't use " 9 is the square route of 81".
I can c how quickly physicists would be reduced to Planck stares.

Naaah, I'm sorry.