Collection of Lame Jokes
- Thread starter quddusaliquddus
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,336 replies · 3M views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
- 929
- 1,226
that's really good exercise for both the body and the mindfresh_42 said:
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
nsaspook said:
Embarrassingly, I'd never heard of Rust until your joke there. I had a nostalgia attack reading about it and seeing a reference to Dr. Dobb's Journal!
Rust does not use garbage collection. Memory and other resources are instead managed through the "resource acquisition is initialization" convention, with optional reference counting. Rust provides deterministic management of resources, with very low overhead. Values are allocated on the stack by default, and all dynamic allocations must be explicit.
Rust (Wikipedia)
Gotta love that expression.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
No diamonds? Or at least a Green Manalishi?sbrothy said:Embarrassingly, I'd never heard of Rust until your joke there. I had a nostalgia attack reading about it and seeing a reference to Dr. Dobb's Journal!
Rust (Wikipedia)
Gotta love that expression.
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
I'm afraid that joke didn't land here. Is it an age-thing?WWGD said:No diamonds? Or at least a Green Manalishi?
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
I enjoy everything except rap and hip-hop. Especially hardcore metal and progressive (psy)trance. Also flamenco and opera. We have entire thread dedicated to the subject here.
I like beer. At least 7% alc. vol. Anything thinner tastes like water.
I like beer. At least 7% alc. vol. Anything thinner tastes like water.
From hard to soft:
Love it when in the next one he "sings" "Urgh!"
...and someone mentioned traditional black metal. With these guys you can almost smell the Norwegian wooden churches burning, points for scene show anyway:
Talk about angry young men!
Love it when in the next one he "sings" "Urgh!"
...and someone mentioned traditional black metal. With these guys you can almost smell the Norwegian wooden churches burning, points for scene show anyway:
Talk about angry young men!
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
sbrothy said:I enjoy everything except rap and hip-hop. Especially hardcore metal and progressive (psy)trance. Also flamenco and opera. We have entire thread dedicated to the subject here.
I like beer. At least 7% alc. vol. Anything thinner tastes like water.
From hard to soft:
Love it when in the next one he "sings" "Urgh!"
...and someone mentioned traditional black metal. With these guys you can almost smell the Norwegian wooden churches burning, points for scene show anyway:
Talk about angry young men!
I used to intern , i.e., little more than being a Caffeine-Supply Engineer at this place that had a (Digital) radio on all the time. They'd switch stations occassionally. So I've taken in a vast swath of music over that time.
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
Hah! But you knew! You're just yanking my chain! 

DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,099
And no one knew toilet paper was going to run until 2020...jtbell said:Who's got nostalgia for Y2K?
View attachment 366960
Of course, nobody on the Internet knew he was a dog until the book outed him!
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
jtbell said:Who's got nostalgia for Y2K?
View attachment 366960
Of course, nobody on the Internet knew he was a dog until the book outed him!
I know (or at least strongly suspect) that Y2K problems isn't the real issue here. Nevertheless, I remember being issued with a bunch of paper, the thickness of several telephones books (anyone know what a telephone book is anymore?), with C code, in small font on both pages, being asked if I would please use my free time to scan through it and see if there should be any problems.
I mean why on paper? And my free time?!
I'm glad I'm retired.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
You scanned toilet paper?sbrothy said:I know (or at least strongly suspect) that Y2K problems isn't the real issue here. Nevertheless, I remember being issued with a bunch of paper, the thickness of several telephones books (anyone know what a telephone book is anymore?), with C code, in small font on both pages, being asked if I would please use my free time to scan through it and see if there should be any problems.
I mean why on paper? And my free time?!
I'm glad I'm retired.
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
It might as well have been.WWGD said:You scanned toilet paper?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
I just used the same solution for Y2K, that we used for Y1K.sbrothy said:It might as well have been.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
The moon landing conspiracies are back again thanks to Kim Kardashian.
Pure lunacy!
Pure lunacy!
- 20,819
- 28,467
The Euro was introduced in 1998 here. That meant a lot of examination of very, very old mainframe code in banking software, esp. as notations were swapped from the price of one dollar to the price of one euro. Checking the Y2K problem was a byproduct. I had never imagined seeing real-life assembler code before, but I did. At least it gave me the rare opportunity to watch Sylvester fireworks at the 21st level over the town.Ivan Seeking said:I just used the same solution for Y2K, that we used for Y1K.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Only announced much later, we did have a Y2K related national defense system failfresh_42 said:The Euro was introduced in 1998 here. That meant a lot of examination of very, very old mainframe code in banking software, esp. as notations were swapped from the price of one dollar to the price of one euro. Checking the Y2K problem was a byproduct. I had never imagined seeing real-life assembler code before, but I did. At least it gave me the rare opportunity to watch Sylvester fireworks at the 21st level over the town.
This is from Google AI, but I remember when this information was released, which is how I knew to look it up.
One significant US defensive system experienced a failure shortly after midnight UTC on January 1, 2000 (which was still Dec 31st, 1999, in the US time zones). A ground-based computer failure temporarily blinded several US spy satellites.
The system, an intelligence processing station at Fort Belvoir, Virginia, went offline for two to three hours. The problem wasn't with the satellites themselves, which remained under control, but with the ground station's ability to process the incoming information due to a Y2K-related error in a software patch.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Because the men would never leave?WWGD said:Wonder why we don't have unisex stores where you can walk around in your underwear to try clothes on, so you don't have to repeatedly dress and undress when buying clothes?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
We are supposed to keep that a secret, so Colossus fails after taking over the world.WWGD said:How about Y2038?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
With a bunch of women walking around in their underwear? The young guys would sit and never stand up!WWGD said:I barely want to go buy clothes at all. I don't see myself wanting to stay in longer than necessary.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
I like the other option better.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Think about it again! A nude beach isn't half as exciting as it sounds.Ivan Seeking said:I like the other option better.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,099
WWGD has a point.WWGD said:Maybe I misused the term 'Unisex'. I meant one exclusively for women and another exclusively for men.
Unisex actually means 'single sex'.
We've always misused it to mean sex-agnostic or omni-sex.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
unisexDaveC426913 said:WWGD has a point.
Unisex actually means 'single sex'.
We've always misused it to mean sex-agnostic or omni-sex.
adjective
intended for use by both males and females:
unisex clothes
a unisex hairdresser's
wiki
The term 'unisex' was coined in the 1960s and was used fairly informally. The combining prefix uni- is from Latin unus, meaning one or single. However, 'unisex' seems to have been influenced by words such as united and universal, in which uni- takes the related sense shared. Unisex then means shared by sexes.<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisex#cite_note-3"><span>[</span>3<span>]</span></a>
Similar threads
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
- BillTre
- · Replies 4 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 4
- jedishrfu
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- BadgerBadger92
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 1
- Sciencemaster
- · Replies 33 ·
- Linear and Abstract Algebra
- Replies
- 33
- jtbell
- · Replies 188 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 188
- smart_worker
- · Replies 7 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 7
- psie
- · Replies 3 ·
- Topology and Analysis
- Replies
- 3
- JT Smith
- · Replies 12 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 12
- russellsh2
- · Replies 8 ·
- Mechanical Engineering
- Replies
- 8