Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 526K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 22,832
- 14,880
- 20,819
- 28,467
- 22,832
- 14,880
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
- 19,385
- 15,622
- 20,819
- 28,467
Until you run into compatibility problems with A,B,C.DrGreg said:I think I'd exclude View attachment 348202 as well, on the grounds that it's a spin-½ system.
When you try to put a USB-A plug into a socket, your first attempt usually fails, so you rotate it 180° and it still fails, so you rotate it a further 180° and it succeeds.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
Three guys - a medic, an engineer and an IT guy- are arguing over some beers what was the oldest job in the world (except...well you know).
First comes the medic: Guys, God made Eve from Adam rib! That medical procedure. So surgery was the oldest job in the world!
Second the engineer: Guys, God created order from chaos! That's engineering! So engineering was the oldest job in the world!
The IT guy: Gents, who do you think that created the chaos?!
Have fun and a great weekend
First comes the medic: Guys, God made Eve from Adam rib! That medical procedure. So surgery was the oldest job in the world!
Second the engineer: Guys, God created order from chaos! That's engineering! So engineering was the oldest job in the world!
The IT guy: Gents, who do you think that created the chaos?!
Have fun and a great weekend
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
saw this one elsewhere
The guy who posted it much be really young
As with many of you here, I was using IBM compatibles long before Win3.1 let alone Win98
Win 98 was a respectable version of the Win OS line up ...
I cant quite remember if it was the first that USB was useable on ?
The guy who posted it much be really young
As with many of you here, I was using IBM compatibles long before Win3.1 let alone Win98
Win 98 was a respectable version of the Win OS line up ...
I cant quite remember if it was the first that USB was useable on ?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 13,438
- 8,110
Windows? When I was a kid we programmed in PDP-8 assembly code using an ASR-33 with an acoustic coupler at 110 baud and considered ourselves lucky to have paper tape.
- 19,385
- 15,622
Yep.
- 22,832
- 14,880
Come on, at least do Windows 3.0 … I remember having to switch 5.25” floppies mid-game in DOS games because the 386 didn’t have a hard drive … and I am not even that old …davenn said:saw this one elsewhere
The guy who posted it much be really young
As with many of you here, I was using IBM compatibles long before Win3.1 let alone Win98
View attachment 348250
Win 98 was a respectable version of the Win OS line up ...
I cant quite remember if it was the first that USB was useable on ?
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
Orodruin said:Come on, at least do Windows 3.0 … I remember having to switch 5.25” floppies mid-game in DOS games because the 386 didn’t have a hard drive … and I am not even that old …
I started my computing on a Sinclair ZX81 in the late 70's, then progressed to a Dick Smith System 80 (Aussie computer - Z80 based), the Aussie version of the Tandy TRS80
during the 80's I was building and selling 300-300 / 1200-75 modems
Them were the days hahaha
Mentor
- 2,469
- 3,626
My first computer had a 300 baud modem. At 300 baud, characters showed up on the screen at about the speed I could type. Then I spent $300 (over $1000 in today's dollars) to upgrade to 1200 baud. That was an incredible speed increase. And the 286 was "the" hot processor.
- 20,819
- 28,467
If you want to make me feel old, you just need to say something about computers in which Hertz occurs.Orodruin said:Come on, at least do Windows 3.0 … I remember having to switch 5.25” floppies mid-game in DOS games because the 386 didn’t have a hard drive … and I am not even that old …
Science Advisor
- 3,647
- 10,067
I don't get the joke as I'm literally using a keyboard from the same generation as I'm typing this! I'm still using the keyboard I got with the computer I bought - used - in '95-'96. Yes, it has one of these:davenn said:saw this one elsewhere
The guy who posted it much be really young
As with many of you here, I was using IBM compatibles long before Win3.1 let alone Win98
View attachment 348250
Win 98 was a respectable version of the Win OS line up ...
I cant quite remember if it was the first that USB was useable on ?
If it still works and I can plug it in, I still use it! It doesn't matter that the "R" is a vertical line, the "T" is a horizontal line, and the "L" is just a dot in the upper left corner.
Up until I bought this computer in 2018, I still had the 3½" floppy on my previous computer, which came from the same '95-'96 computer. Yes, I was still using it* to transfer backups (yes, backing up documentS with a 3½ floopy) from another computer that only differs from the one in the picture by the fact it is using Windows 2000 (if I remember well, it is a 486 with a 400 Mb hard drive). And I'm using the present tense because it is still plugged in - with its dot matrix printer Epson LX-800 -, sitting on a desk, ready to be used as we speak.
I really don't like to throw away stuff.
[*] Funny story, using a 3½ floppy was so normal to me, that I used one to present files for an ad I wanted to buy from my local paper about 15 years ago. The employee was surprised and wasn't sure if they had a 3½ floppy drive in the workplace. Later on, the ad designer told me she had a 3½ floppy external drive that she was going to throw away. She added, "I guess I will keep it a little longer." That's when I realized I might not have been as hip as I would have thought.
- 20,819
- 28,467
These were the times when you could put your keyboard in the dishwasher!
- 22,832
- 14,880
You still can!fresh_42 said:These were the times when you could put your keyboard in the dishwasher!
(You just have to remove it before you put the dishwasher on or it breaks …)
- 20,819
- 28,467
- 20,819
- 28,467
Science Advisor
- 3,647
- 10,067
- 13,923
- 16,801
...that said, the main way I find that people at work are PhDs is if anyone tells a "while I was doing my PhD" anecdote, suddenly everyone else finds a reason to mention theirs.jack action said:
Similar threads
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
- pivoxa15
- · Replies 36 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 36