Collection of Science Jokes P2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 529K views
Arjan82 said:
I don't get this
I think the Facebook user is adding confusion to this, yes. The hypotenuse has "length" zero, but non-zero projections on to both the horizontal and vertical axes.

As Orodruin notes, the diagram is a Minkowski diagram, widely used in relativity as a "map" of a two dimensional spacetime (one time, one space dimension) using the old "imaginary time" approach.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Arjan82 and collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
Arjan82 said:
I just don't get it

As @Orodruin and @Ibix point out, it is a valid form of geometry, albeit non-Euclidean, akin to flat, Minkowski spacetime. However, the facebook user was overthinking it (you can probably ignore the facebook user's comments).

As a special bonus, you can even do "trigonometry"-like operations in such geometries of such right triangles, except instead of using sin(), cos(), and tan(), etc., you can invoke their hyperbolic equivalents, sinh(), cosh(), and tanh(), etc.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Arjan82 and BillTre
Ibix said:
I think the Facebook user is adding confusion to this, yes.
Really.

My "poem" would be:
##H^2=A^2+B^2##
##H^2=i^2+1^2##
##H^2=-1+1=0##
##H=0##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and BillTre
Ibix said:
I think the Facebook user is adding confusion to this, yes.
That is so weird though. Random Facebook comments are usually such a fount of indisputable knowledge … 🤔
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Ibix, BillTre and berkeman
1721775577947.png
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: davenn and edwardII
berkeman said:

"I got to work at 10, then grabbed a latte. Then I headed over to the gym. Then me and a couple of friends went to the salad bar for a quick bite before heading to our cool new Tibetan themed meditation center. Then we had this all-hands townhall zoom meeting..."
 
Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
That's cheating. If adding extra elements to aluminium could count as making it transparent, then they wouldn't have to wait until the 22nd century to invent it - they could have just dug up some corundum from the ground.
 
You know, this just doesn't seem like a great idea to me ....

1722336357116.png
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, BillTre, fresh_42 and 2 others
berkeman said:
Two things come to mind:

1. The objects in the left picture are ever so slightly bigger than the man in the second.
2. The instrument used for the left picture costs ever so slightly more than that used for the right.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and berkeman
Orodruin said:
The instrument used for the left picture costs ever so slightly more than that used for the right.
Webb cost the better part of $10bn (I looked it up because I was just about to make a similar comment).
 
“…when it is least convenient.”

1722819897531.png
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: phinds, jack action, Bystander and 3 others
berkeman said:
A colleague used to edit an internal newsletter with things of professional interest for people in various scientific or numerate roles. Having the kind of sense of humour that would go well on here, he used that pie chart (without the key) as the logo. He was very disappointed to discover that the next editor had changed it to use our corporate standard colour scheme and ruined the joke.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, nuuskur and berkeman