Collection of Science Jokes P2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 528K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Ibix said:
It probably crashed too.

some one didnt bolt the rack to the wall overly well
Wonder how long it lasted before it fell off ?
 
davenn said:
Wonder how long it lasted before it fell off ?
Since before the wall was first painted, maybe a couple of tech generations.
It was probably pulled off the wall by the accumulated weight of undocumented disused cables.
 
davenn said:
some one didnt bolt the rack to the wall overly well
Should have used butterfly fixings.
1721298238839.png
 
davenn said:
The server is “down”….literally.

View attachment 348510

A colleague from the hardware maintenance unit once told me that he regularly had the following dialogue with field technicians:

Technician: "My laptop crashed."
Service: "How high?"

(It sounds a bit better in German where "abstürzen" = accidentally falling from a great height is used for "crash". German distinguishes whether an airplane crashes into a tanker truck on the ground or crashes by falling from flight level.)
 
  • Informative
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, Ibix and gmax137
fresh_42 said:
It sounds a bit better in German where "abstürzen" = accidentally falling from a great height is used for "crash". German distinguishes whether an airplane crashes into a tanker truck on the ground or crashes by falling from flight level.
Interesting. The Swedish counterpart would be “att störta” would not be used for server crashes.
 
Orodruin said:
Interesting. The Swedish counterpart would be “att störta” would not be used for server crashes.
What do you call "Bluescreen"? We use "abstürzen" for any OS crash, server, PC, laptop, or whatever.
 
fresh_42 said:
What do you call "Bluescreen"?
BSOD
Blue Screen Of Death
or
OSNA
Oh SH|T! Not Again
 
fresh_42 said:
I doubt that you could wake me up with 9V.
Try a fresh 9V battery on your tongue. Most people kind'a wish they hadn't.

Actually, that's the way I do a quick test when a meter is not available.
'Quick' is the operative word there!

If you can keep it on your tongue with a tingling sensation, it is probably usable. A slight metallic taste is normal. A chemical taste indicates it is leaking and belongs in the trash heap.

Have Fun! (and get strange looks from the un-initiated)
Tom
 
fresh_42 said:
I doubt that you could wake me up with 9V.
Oh, I don't know. I think maybe if a nose ring shorted across a 3v battery it would heat up enough that you would likely notice pretty quickly.
 
davenn said:

I used to have that one as wallpaper (without that headline here and in a far better resolution but I couldn't find the original right now) - green XML file on a black background:


1721438152701.png


... because viruses don't attack mainframes.
 
Last edited:
Tom.G said:
Try a fresh 9V battery on your tongue. Most people kind'a wish they hadn't.
It is amazing how well that trick works to condition one's self not to do it again. Once is enough.

It is hard for me to bring a 9V battery close to my tongue. Even when I am confident that it is nearly discharged.
 
Tom.G said:
Try a fresh 9V battery on your tongue. Most people kind'a wish they hadn't.
Clearly, I'm not most people because I have done that more than once. It curled my tongue a little, but not much more than that.

On the other hand, at about age 12, a friend reported that he had done a science experiment the previous weekend. The conversation went about as follows:

Him: Hey Jim, I did a science experiment the other day.
Me: Tell me.
Him: I peed over an electric fence.
Me: How did it turn out?
Him: Pretty good, until the pressure started to drop.
Me: Cringe.

He went on to get married and father three kids, so there was no permanent damage.

Does that count as a science joke on the experimenter?
 
Tom.G said:
Try a fresh 9V battery on your tongue. Most people kind'a wish they hadn't.
We once returned from the local pub to our tents at a camping location. Sure, drunk. Very drunk. One of us had to pee and caught an active agricultural fence! The internet says the voltage is between 2,000 and 10,000, recommended 3,000.

9V? Ridiculous.
 
fresh_42 said:
We once returned from the local pub to our tents at a camping location. Sure, drunk. Very drunk. One of us had to pee and caught an active agricultural fence! The internet says the voltage is between 2,000 and 10,000, recommended 3,000.

9V? Ridiculous.
Having been exposed to both, I can say that the level of discomfort is similar. There is a definite training effect with fences as with batteries.

If challenged to pee on a fence, I would definitely want to leverage Plateau-Rayleigh instability.
 
It is almost poetic:

imaginary-triangle.jpg

A Facebook user explained this so elegantly:
Since i is along another dimension, perpendicular to the real plane, the projection of the triangle on the real plane looks like a line so indeed the side is 0
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and BillTre
jack action said:
A Facebook user explained this so elegantly:
Since i is along another dimension, perpendicular to the real plane, the projection of the triangle on the real plane looks like a line so indeed the side is 0

So, I'm not a mathematician, but I don't get this (so not saying it's wrong, I just don't get it :frown:...). First off: the 'real plane', what is that? I know about the real line. And, together with the imaginary line that is a plane, but that's not in ##\mathbb{R}^2## I would guess?

So, if there would be a real plane, the first axis is horizontal and the second at a right angle to the drawing I would say. Then indeed the projection of the triangle (specifically of the hypotenuse) looks like a line. In fact, the projection of the hypotenuse coincides with the horizontal line, with 'real' length 1. But then it does have a real component and I'm having trouble seeing what is 0 about it... The vertical line though, that has indeed length 0 in the projection.

Sorry for possibly way overthinking this...