Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 528K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
134.6??fresh_42 said:Subtle. I like that.
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
- 3,212
- 3,841
"In Celsius's initial proposal ... the boiling point was 0 degrees and the freezing point was 100 degrees."pinball1970 said:134.6??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsius
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
I am confused.jack action said:![]()
This seems to be saying that scientists' girlfriends give simple answers that are false, but scientists prefer girls who give complicated answers that are true?
Or if I'm misreading this, what is the connection between the images and the text?
This isn't a joke answer, I am genuinely confused.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
It seems quite Freudian but I am not sure.DrGreg said:I am confused.
This seems to be saying that scientists' girlfriends give simple answers that are false, but scientists prefer girls who give complicated answers that are true?
Or if I'm misreading this, what is the connection between the images and the text?
This isn't a joke answer, I am genuinely confused.
Normal people end up with a woman that gives him grief but she's right.
He would prefer the hot chick but greener grass has no substance.
Scientists are attracted to smarter women.
Conspiracy people like conspiracies, complicated so they must be true even though they are nonsense.
- 20,819
- 28,467
celsius measured the other way around. 100° freezing, 0° boiling and 57=100-43.pinball1970 said:134.6??
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
It's complicated, is this about women preference or answers to the universe?DrGreg said:I am confused.
This seems to be saying that scientists' girlfriends give simple answers that are false, but scientists prefer girls who give complicated answers that are true?
Or if I'm misreading this, what is the connection between the images and the text?
This isn't a joke answer, I am genuinely confused.
Both scenarios are a mystery to me.
- 13,924
- 16,803
I think the scene is supposed to be read as "guy is with girl in blue but would dump her in an instant for the girl in red", so you're meant to read "[label on guy] will settle for [label on girlfriend] because they're available, but really desire [label on woman in red]". I think that kind of works for all three label sets.DrGreg said:I am confused.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
The scientist one threw me, why would he be with a dumb girl? She is not dumb, it is just that she is not in his 0.1%.Ibix said:I think the scene is supposed to be read as "guy is with girl in blue but would dump her in an instant for the girl in red", so you're meant to read "[label on guy] will settle for [label on girlfriend] because they're available, but really desire [label on woman in red]". I think that kind of works for all three label sets.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
I'm forwarding this to the team, two guys and 13 gals. I will feed back!jack action said:
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
This is a spin-off of a well-known meme called Distracted boyfriend:DrGreg said:I am confused.
The memes use this image with the following narrative: The subject [boyfriend] is distracted from his current interest or business [girlfriend] by something more exciting or alluring [seductive girl].The image was uploaded to Shutterstock with the caption: "Disloyal man walking with his girlfriend and looking amazed at another seductive girl".
- Most people when they are with complicated answers that are true are easily distracted by simple answers that are false;
- Scientists when they are with simple answers that are false are easily distracted by complicated answers that are true;
- Conspiracy theorists when they are with simple answers that are true are easily distracted by complicated answers that are false.
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
Nothing makes a man a math wizard faster than when he sees his ex with a baby.
- 22,832
- 14,880
- 13,924
- 16,803
Reported as a crackpot theory.BillTre said:
- 22,832
- 14,880
math is hard …nuuskur said:checkmate you filthy globers!
View attachment 351495
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,095
OK, a couple of things:DrGreg said:I am confused.
This seems to be saying that scientists' girlfriends give simple answers that are false, but scientists prefer girls who give complicated answers that are true?
Or if I'm misreading this, what is the connection between the images and the text?
This isn't a joke answer, I am genuinely confused.
This is a standard meme format. The template is called "distracted boyfriend", and it is widely used to generate a number of memes with a common theme.
The girls are only metaphors in the meme - stand-ins for the subject-of-interest in any particular meme. i.e. they are the anthropomorphization of the thread's theme. The girls are not part of the message itself.
A more accurate to render this theme is put the text blocks in place of the heads, so that what he is choosing between is ideas, not girls. Like this:
All that matters is
a] two ideas, and
b] him choosing to turn from one to another.
The girls drop out of the equation and - for this specific meme - we are left with:
Scientists are attracted to complicated answers that are true more than simple answers that are false.
Last edited:
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,095
I don't want to get into a debate with or about flerfers (utterly pointless, and I'm not sure it isn't 99% mass media promo), but I wonder what they think of simply calling the other end of the country at exactly sunset and asking them what the sunset looks like to them 3000 miles away.nuuskur said:checkmate you filthy globers!
There's no flerf geometry that could explain this.
It seems like an unusually simple way to conclusively disprove a flat Earth.
- 13,924
- 16,803
The Illuminati control the phone network. You can't trust that you're really talking to your friend on the other coast, not even if you establish passwords and countersigns offline - they have ears everywhere.DaveC426913 said:I wonder what they think of simply calling the other end of the country at exactly sunset and asking them what the sunset looks like to them 3000 miles away.
Fnord.
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
- 3,212
- 3,841
You are neglecting to account for the relativity of simultaneity.DaveC426913 said:I wonder what they think of simply calling the other end of the country at exactly sunset and asking them what the sunset looks like to them 3000 miles away.
Swamp Thing
- 1,076
- 844
There's this statistician who decided to switch careers and start making movies. His first film is going to be called "Am I Bayesist?"
Last edited:
Similar threads
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
- pivoxa15
- · Replies 36 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 36