Collection of Science Jokes P2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 526K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
Took me a while to get it.
I added a link to make it easier. :wink:
 
Swamp Thing said:
There's this statistician who decided to switch careers and start making movies. His first film is going to be called "Am I Bayesist?"
Then a remake of Great Expectations? With Bridgette Bardot playing part of hypotenuse?
 
1728324600272.png
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu, slider142, phinds and 3 others
berkeman said:
I had a similar experience in my life. When being a student Mech. Eng., I went to a competition with a professor and another student, where we were going to watch a very ill-prepared team from our university race a small car they built (Formula SAE).

On the way to the racetrack, my professor said that they would be able to make one lap and then the car would break down. Following that, the other student said that they wouldn't finish the first lap.

I was perplexed by their optimism and said "They won't make it past the starting line." The other two told me that I was harsh with them. I responded: "They have no experience building a car, they didn't do any research, plan, or any kind of calculations, and they haven't tested anything. You may have a chance if at least one of those is done properly, but without any of those things it is impossible the car can work."

The car probably rolled at most 2 car lengths past the starting line before it stopped and the team had to forfeit. Both the professor and the other student looked at me and said: "You called it!"
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and berkeman
jack action said:
The car probably rolled at most 2 car lengths past the starting line before it stopped and the team had to forfeit. Both the professor and the other student looked at me and said: "You called it!"
Ouch! Maybe they should have been in the Aerospace department. Or maybe not... :smile:
 
berkeman said:
Ouch! Maybe they should have been in the Aerospace department. Or maybe not... :smile:
I don't think so.

To illustrate: The nose of their car was made of styrofoam but at the pre-race inspection, the judges determined that the minimum length in front of the feet wasn't respected (it happens when you don't read the rules correctly).

To be able to race, they had to cut it in the middle and increase its length by inserting some material. The duct tape used to hold everything together was just giving a nice visual cue to anyone looking at the car of its engineering value.

I remember discussing with the team leader when they were working on the car, begging him to reconsider participating in the race because the project was such a mess. He told me that his strategy was not to make the best car they could but to hope for competitors worse than them. I was left speechless.