Science Advisor
- 13,423
- 4,244
When I was about 12 years old, while I was using a soldering gun, a neighbor kid snuck up behind me and yelled or did something to startle me. I reacted by swinging around and inadvertently sticking the tip of the soldering gun right in the middle of his forehead. He still had a dent in his forehead when I saw him ten years later.collinsmark said:That hurts just looking at the picture. Twice now (over my lifetime) the soldering iron slipped -- maybe the cord getting caught on my elbow or something on the lab bench -- and to keep it from rolling off the table, or onto my lap, I grabbed it, but unfortunately I grabbed it in the wrong place. You would think once would be enough for me to permanently learn. But here we are.
Ironically, mathematicians are often very satisfied just with proof of existence.jack action said:
Sounds like bee ess to me.Ivan Seeking said:Unusual drone activity is being reported around apiaries.
But you die shortly after mating.Baluncore said:Beeing a drone is a good job, if you can get it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_(bee)
" A drone is a male bee. Unlike the female worker bee, a drone has no stinger. He does not gather nectar or pollen and cannot feed without assistance from worker bees. His only role is to mate with a maiden queen in nuptial flight. "
Don't we all?DrGreg said:But you die shortly after mating.
berkeman said:
The same could be said of any of the Holometabolous insects.berkeman said:
Yeah, I've met some of those people.BillTre said:Cockroaches on the other hand look like little adults when they hatch out.
Or, too old. It was way past my time.berkeman said:![]()
Indeed, I remember Newton well.berkeman said:
From Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. "Lying for the Whetstone".Ivan Seeking said:Indeed, I remember Newton well.