Collection of Science Jokes P2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 527K views
What is the difference between Newtonian mechanics and Quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics have to use very tiny tools.
 
  • Skeptical
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ohwilleke and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
uncanceled_units.png
 
Orodruin said:
You mean ##2.2\cdot 10^{-18}## s-1?
First of all, that should be in Hertz. But you know as well as I do, that in all literature it is given as 7.2 furlongs per fortnight per gigafathom.
 
From The Onion:

MAGA Enraged as Quantum Computers Come Out as Non-Binary​

 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G, Borg, jack action and 3 others
BillTre said:
From The Onion:

MAGA Enraged as Quantum Computers Come Out as Non-Binary​

And regular computers rely on trans-istors. It's a woke minefield!
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg, jack action, phinds and 1 other person
Ibix said:
And regular computers rely on trans-istors. It's a woke minefield!
Yeah, but you have to remember that the times they are a changin'. Trans people aren't what they used to be.
 
phinds said:
Yeah, but you have to remember that the times they are a changin'. Trans people aren't what they used to be.
Cis people are all the same (side), but the para people are opposed.
 
BillTre said:
From The Onion:

MAGA Enraged as Quantum Computers Come Out as Non-Binary​

When I went to buy a plug and receptacle the other day, the signs said, "Identifies as male", and Identifies as female".
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, berkeman and BillTre
BillTre said:
From The Onion:

MAGA Enraged as Quantum Computers Come Out as Non-Binary​

I couldn't find it on the Onion but it was on a reddit thread for Onion-like headlines:
 
How will the recent seismic changes in Washington affect the Frequentist vs Bayesian controversy and its partisans on either side?

Any Executive Orders regarding this?
 
Swamp Thing said:
How will the recent seismic changes in Washington affect the Frequentist vs Bayesian controversy and its partisans on either side?

Any Executive Orders regarding this?
I’m waiting for one that will settle the conflict between the Big-Endians and the Little-Endians (the real one about boiled eggs, not the byte-ordering tempest in a teapot).

And with tongue out of cheek again…. We do not have the bandwidth to effectively moderate a discussion that goes from humor to political so we’ll delete anything that looks like it might.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Swamp Thing and berkeman
Ibix said:
59,048 if you can control the joints independently.
I cannot, unfortunately. Partly a result of being a football goalkeeper in my youth. (Balls hitting fingers at unfortunate angles is nothing I recommend.)
 
Ibix said:
59,048 if you can control the joints independently.
OK, I'll bite. How did you get that number?
 
Tom.G said:
OK, I'll bite. How did you get that number?
I get ##10^9## if controlling each joint completely independently. 3 joints per finger except thumb, which has 2, but is opposable so that’s another degree of freedom. That means 15 joints per hand so ##2^{30}-1##.
 
Tom.G said:
OK, I'll bite. How did you get that number?
If you can control the joints independently you can have your finger straight or with one or two joints folded, so three states. The number is ##3^{10}-1##.

I can do it - it's some sort of trick of lining up one joint so only the other one bends. But it's faintly uncomfortable in a way that suggests to me I'm overstressing something, so I usually stick to counting to 1023.
 
Ibix said:
or with one or two joints folded
Ah, but there are three different states in each of those categories depending on which one or two joints you fold! 😉

Even if you only count two joints per finger it is 4 states depending on the joint you fold.
 
Orodruin said:
I get ##10^9## if controlling each joint completely independently. 3 joints per finger except thumb, which has 2, but is opposable so that’s another degree of freedom. That means 15 joints per hand so ##2^{30}-1##.
I think I can only fold the lower joint or both, not the fully-independent flexibility required for this!