Collection of Science Jokes P2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 527K views
Ibix said:
I think I can only fold the lower joint or both, not the fully-independent flexibility required for this!
Whatever will you do when you need to count to 93716937?!?!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Orodruin said:
Whatever will you do when you need to count to 93716937?!?!
I can get to 60,466,175 if I take my socks off. And I can open my mouth or something for another factor of 2.
 
Orodruin said:
I get ##10^9## if controlling each joint completely independently. 3 joints per finger except thumb, which has 2, but is opposable so that’s another degree of freedom. That means 15 joints per hand so ##2^{30}-1##.
Well! If you are including opposable, I can go all fingers spread and any combination of them on the same hand opposable (touching).
 
You can count on mathematicians found on PF to prove that the joke in post #3741 is not a joke when they start debating how high they can count on their fingers while it has been established that there is no real-world use for numbers higher than 10 ... just sayin'.
 
jack action said:
it has been established that there is no real-world use for numbers higher than 10
Can you lend me a 20? If you don't have a use for it? 😁
 
Orodruin said:
I can count to 1023 on my fingers … 🫣
As an amateur pianist, I long ago learned the fingering pattern for counting up to 31 in binary on my left hand (starting from the little finger as low-order digit) so I can do that without thinking about it, although I then have to convert the binary back to decimal when I want to know the total so far.
 
1737910298270.png
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G, jack action, BillTre and 1 other person


(Watch from 06:03)


I posted this comment to this video:
[ 06:03 ] You had the chance to use the correct term, "Chinese whispers" but you said Japanese Telephone Game, just like an AI model might have done.
 
Last edited:
Uh ... ONE of those is wrong. "Anything that can be simple, will be simple". What Murphy would say is that anything that COULD be simple will NOT be simple.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and fresh_42
phinds said:
Uh ... ONE of those is wrong. "Anything that can be simple, will be simple". What Murphy would say is that anything that COULD be simple will NOT be simple.
Unless you like to complicate things.
 
15. Electrical inspectors are also known as Enforcers.

"Do as they say or you will be sleeping with the fishes."

Cheers,
Tom
 
A colleague was surprised when I referred to another colleague’s paper as ”the avocado paper” 🥑

1739466251576.png

Don’t tell me those are not avocados!
(They look delicious!)
 
Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, phinds, Tom.G and 6 others
Dept of Nominative Determinism

Dr. Angela Walk is a sports chiropractic physician in Nashville, Tennessee. She specializes in foot and gait mechanics.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and BillTre