Collection of Science Jokes P2

In summary: Usually it's been commentated as being 'real'. Actually the joke dates back to the 30's and whether it's real or not cannot be said anymore.
  • #2,731
1656089173778.png

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,732
FB_IMG_1656065333756.jpg

Likes collinsmark, BillTre, Borg and 1 other person
  • #2,733
FB_IMG_1656170402381.jpg

• Haha
Likes Demystifier, jasonRF, collinsmark and 7 others
  • #2,734
_nc_ohc=_xsxLRnaCK8AX-lWb5V&_nc_ht=scontent-dus1-1.jpg

• Haha
Likes Demystifier, Wrichik Basu, russ_watters and 7 others
  • #2,736
_nc_ohc=nxmqzOY2c5UAX8y5Y0q&_nc_ht=scontent-ham3-1.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Wrichik Basu, davenn, jasonRF and 3 others
  • #2,737
fresh_42 said:
Q: Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

A: To get to the same side.

• Haha
Likes jasonRF, pinball1970, jack action and 2 others
  • #2,738
Orodruin said:
Q: Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

A: To get to the same side.
Q: Why did the next chicken cut the Möbius strip in half (along the equator)?

A: To get another side.

Likes Orodruin and BillTre
  • #2,739
Why am I hungry?
Because I'm thinking about Chicken McMobius Strips.

Likes BillTre
  • #2,740
Borg said:
Why am I hungry?
Because I'm thinking about Chicken McMobius Strips.
Would they have no inside or outside like a Klein bottle?
Where would the dip go?

• #2,741
_nc_ohc=VjzYhZLuvu0AX9Z0Y-j&_nc_ht=scontent-dus1-1.jpg

Likes davenn, Wrichik Basu, Jodo and 6 others
  • #2,742
_nc_ohc=Z-d3lpn0nY8AX8TUTIx&_nc_ht=scontent-dus1-1.jpg

• Haha
Likes Demystifier, pinball1970 and berkeman
  • #2,743
flat-earth-cat.jpg

• Haha
Likes Demystifier, davenn, dextercioby and 3 others
  • #2,744
1657327883009.png

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Wrichik Basu and BillTre
  • #2,745
_nc_ohc=s2a6FgiEGssAX_V8ZgP&_nc_ht=scontent-dus1-1.jpg

Likes FuzzySphere, Tom.G, BillTre and 2 others
  • #2,747
fresh_42 said:
Presumably they submitted their script to a journal in Animal behaviour for ratification?

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, BillTre, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
  • #2,748
fresh_42 said:
”Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein”
- Nietzsche

"And if you gaze into an abyss for a long time, the abyss also gazes into you"

[Google translation added by a Mentor who can only count to ten in German]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
  • #2,749
Orodruin said:
”Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein”
- Nietzsche
That's my usual feeling in the primate section of a zoo: Who is watching whom?

I once praised Natalie for her baby. You know, what people say about newborns. Apparently, I went too far and Natalie got the impression that I wanted to have her baby, so she spat at me. Bonobos sind auch nur Menschen.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
  • #2,750

Is There a Santa Claus? An Engineer's Perspective​

Author’s note: All numerical values, calculations and estimates are, of course, indubitably accurate.The first and foremost thing to take into account to properly begin the proof is the number of children Santa Claus must visit each Christmas. There are approximately two billion children (persons under 18) in the world. However, since Santa does not visit children of Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, Buddhist (except maybe in Japan) and other non-Christian religions, this reduces his customer base by 85%, or 378 million (according to the Population Reference Bureau). At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, presuming there is at least one good child in each, that comes to 108 million homes.Santa has about 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the Earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 967.7 household visits per second.This is to say that for each house, Santa has a bit more than 1/1000th of a second to park the sleigh, hop out, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left for him, get back up the chimney, jump into the sleigh and arrive at the next house.Assuming that each of these 108 million stops is evenly distributed around the Earth (which, of course, we know to be false, but will accept for the purposes of our calculations), we are now talking about 0.78 miles between households – a total trip of 75.5 million miles (not counting bathroom stops or breaks). This means Santa’s sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, or 3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man-made vehicle, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second, and a conventional reindeer can run 15 miles an hour at best.The payload of the sleigh adds another interesting element to our calculations. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a two pound Lego set (medium sized), the sleigh is carrying over 500 thousand tons (not counting Santa himself, who is, by reputation, rather plump). On land, a conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that a “flying” reindeer could pull ten times this amount, the job couldn’t be done with eight or even nine of them: Santa would need 360,000 reindeer. This increases the payload, not counting the sleigh, another 54,000 tons, or roughly seven times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth (the ship, not the monarch).600,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance. This would heat up the reindeer in the same fashion as a spacecraft re-entering the Earth’s atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer would each absorb 14.3 quintillion (14,300,000,000,000,000,000) joules of energy per second. In short, they would burst into flames almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them and creating deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team would be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. This would be right about the same time Santa reached the fifth house on his trip.Not that that matters, though, since Santa, as a result of accelerating from a dead stop to 650 m.p.s. in .001 seconds, would be subjected to acceleration forces of 17,500 g’s. A 250 pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of the sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force, instantly crushing his bones and organs and reducing him to a quivering blob of pink goo.Therefore: If Santa ever did exist, he’s dead now.

Likes pinball1970 and Baluncore
  • #2,751
Therefore: If Santa ever did exist, he’s a franchise now.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and BillTre
  • #2,752
Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 9.05.56 AM.png

• #2,753
BillTre said:
screen-shot-2022-07-15-at-9-05-56-am-png.png
It must be possible, I saw Mr Spock do it!

For the benefit of our younger readers: "Spock's Brain"

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
  • #2,754
Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 1.53.35 PM.png

• Haha
Likes jack action, Wrichik Basu, phinds and 1 other person
  • #2,755
Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 10.19.06 AM.png

• Haha
Likes davenn, Ibix, fresh_42 and 2 others
  • #2,756
Likes Ibix and BillTre
  • #2,757
BillTre said:
It has taken me till now to get that. I thought it was from 'Stranger things' or similar!

Likes BillTre
  • #2,758
BillTre said:
I have one like this, but sized BS on one end and Whitworth on the other.

Likes Ibix and BillTre
  • #2,759
gmax137 said:
I have one like this, but sized BS on one end
Not the only thing that's BS about this, I suspect... :wink:

• Haha
Likes BillTre and gmax137
  • #2,760
AlphaFold has released the structure of almost all the the known (from sequence) proteins (about 200 million different proteins), AKA the protein universe.

Here is an AlphaFold deep field view:
Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 9.01.42 AM.png

No gravitational lensing found yet.

• Haha
Likes mfb and DaveC426913
  • #2,761
_nc_ohc=b4OUjLqV6hEAX9bMcYu&_nc_ht=scontent-dus1-1.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Demystifier, Wrichik Basu, jack action and 3 others
  • #2,762
1659871848310.png

Likes LCSphysicist, Ibix, BillTre and 2 others
  • #2,763
fresh_42 said:
It's about conventions. As ##n## is an integer, ##z## a complex number, ##p## a prime, ##i,j,k## indices or ##A_{ji}## a transposed matrix so is ##ε## in calculus the byword of something arbitrary small, but positive. Uncounted definitions and proofs about convergence, differentiation or continuity start with an ##ε > 0##.
OK. You had to be there.

• #2,764
David Lewis said:
OK. You had to be there.
Yes, I am thinking of starting a thread called, 'this is what happens when a mathematician gets hold of *insert thing here.*

Likes David Lewis
  • #2,765
Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 8.45.09 AM.png

Likes pinball1970, Wrichik Basu, Tom.G and 3 others