Collection of Science Jokes P2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 531K views
mfb said:
Calling that transparent aluminium is a bit like calling (quartz) glass "transparent silicon" or lead glass "transparent lead".
Glass IS transparent silicon dioxide. What is wrong with saying that?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Glass IS transparent silicon dioxide. What is wrong with saying that?
Silicon != Silicon Dioxide
 
It is transparent silicon dioxide, but it is not transparent silicon, because it's not silicon.

If you ask for an oxygen bottle and get a bottle of water, ...
 
mfb said:
It is transparent silicon dioxide, but it is not transparent silicon, because it's not silicon.

If you ask for an oxygen bottle and get a bottle of water, ...

Is there silicon in glass. Can you see through it. Or are you saying a silicon atom is no longer a silicon atom if it's bound to another atom?
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Is there silicon in glass. Can you see through it. Or are you saying a silicon atom is no longer a silicon atom if it's bound to another atom?
We normally distinguish between wood, coal, diamond, water, oxygen and carbon-dioxide. We do not normally fill a CO2 fire extinguisher with "transparent carbon".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mfb and Bystander
Here's a spoiler regarding the recent posts. The movie also involves whales, not shown in this video.

All right, fine. Here's a whale or two for good measure.

 
jbriggs444 said:
normally fill a CO2 fire extinguisher with "transparent carbon".
..., unless we're smuggling diamonds. (Presidio, great movie.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jbriggs444, jim mcnamara and BillTre
jbriggs444 said:
We normally distinguish between wood, coal, diamond, water, oxygen and carbon-dioxide. We do not normally fill a CO2 fire extinguisher with "transparent carbon".
CO2 is transparent, right?

I can play nitpicking games all day too. :)
 
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.26.38 AM.png
 
mfb said:
Yes, but it's not carbon. See above. It contains carbon.
So you can see through the oxygen but not the carbon. So you see little black dots?
 
ergospherical said:
is this a serious question or a science joke?
I am pointing out the fallacy in his logic.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
I am pointing out the fallacy in his logic.
what fallacy? the optical properties of compounds like carbon dioxide are determined by the vibrational modes of the molecule (e.g. CO2 has a symmetric stretch, an antisymmetric stretch and a bending mode), and these have frequencies in the infrared (not visible) region so it is transparent. [Although, the symmetric stretch doesn’t change the dipole moment, so actually isn’t even IR active]

It’s not like some types of individual atoms are opaque and others are transparent…
 
It is easily possible to explain dark matter and dark energy. I have discovered a truly marvelous theory of this, which this room is too dark to write down.
 
fresh_42 said:
It is easily possible to explain dark matter and dark energy. I have discovered a truly marvelous theory of this, which this room is too dark to write down.
Is this your last theorem, Mr. Freshmat? :oldbiggrin:
 
Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mfb, Hamiltonian, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
1631992241473.png

the Schrödinger equation did me bad! I went into it thinking its probably beautiful and elegant as it describes the fundamental nature of reality. I couldn't have been more wrong! solving the eqn for a measly H-atom makes me cri:cry::cry:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
fresh_42 said:
It is easily possible to explain dark matter and dark energy. I have discovered a truly marvelous theory of this, which this room is too dark to write down.
Simple!
1631992769233.png

Where
E = dark energy
m = mass of dark matter

:angel:
 
Wouldn't you have to replace that with the speed of dark? :oldtongue:
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: jack action, BillTre, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
Borg said:
Wouldn't you have to replace that with the speed of dark? :oldtongue:
That's just - C. The squared value is still a positive.

Easy Peasy

I don't know what all the fuss has been.
 
My psychic prediction: Everyone who reads my post will secretly run a few calculations just to be sure what I said doesn't makes sense.
 
Borg said:
Wouldn't you have to replace that with the speed of dark? :oldtongue:
Done.
 
Today I was walking through a doorway so slowly that I started to diffract. Scared the heck out of me!
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Keith_McClary and DaveC426913
Ivan Seeking said:
Today I was walking through a doorway so slowly that I started to diffract. Scared the heck out of me!
And the room you were walking into had two tall, narrow windows?
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Ivan Seeking and DaveC426913
Keith_McClary said:
And the room you were walking into had two tall, narrow windows?
I only saw one. And I only saw one.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary, Hamiltonian and DaveC426913