Collection of Science Jokes P2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 526K views
...which does beg the brain teaser question, can you pass through a doorway so slowly [de Broglie Wavelength] that you diffract? What happens, or why not?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
Too many distractions (too much interaction with the environment) to walk through a doorway coherently.
Such as...?

There is one thing that ensures no one can run the experiment and get results even under ideal [Perfect] conditions.
 
Radiation in both directions, electromagnetic fields from the human, collisions with gas molecules even in the best vacuum we could make. Probably even gravitational interactions at that level.
 
mfb said:
Radiation in both directions, electromagnetic fields from the human, collisions with gas molecules even in the best vacuum we could make. Probably even gravitational interactions at that level.
Motion due to temperature is one problem.

But all that aside, even if we run it at near absolute zero in deep space while heavily shielded by a structure imposing zero net gravity, there is still a reason not mentioned as to why the experiment would not yield useful results...
 
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 12.53.36 PM.png
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Hamiltonian and jack action
mfb said:
A human at absolute zero is dead, and I don't think you can create a condition where there is no gravitational influence leading to decoherence.
It still works if you're dead. And if what you say about gravity is true, then how could any deBroglie wavelength experiment work?

But that aside, how long would it take to run the experiment? If the door is about 1 meter wide, then the frozen human body needs to have a wavelength of about 1 meter. Assuming a mass of 100 Kg... given the required velocity, IIRC the universe isn't old enough to have run the experiment.
 
gmax137 said:
What's this all about?
View attachment 289540
Logo of the advertising company that did this.
The funeral home is a fake, website goes to a get a vax site.
 
BillTre said:
The funeral home is a fake...
I wondered about that.
I am extremely skeptical of anything online these days.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
It still works if you're dead. And if what you say about gravity is true, then how could any deBroglie wavelength experiment work?
The experiments are done with much lighter objects.
But that aside, how long would it take to run the experiment? If the door is about 1 meter wide, then the frozen human body needs to have a wavelength of about 1 meter. Assuming a mass of 100 Kg... given the required velocity, IIRC the universe isn't old enough to have run the experiment.
Compared to the other obstacles I think this is a minor concern.
 
mfb said:
The experiments are done with much lighter objects.
Cool. Let me see the proof.

mfb said:
Compared to the other obstacles I think this is a minor concern.
Government worker?
 
You know the really great thing about not drinking booze?

Not drinking booze.

I quit on my 21st birthday.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
You know the really great thing about not drinking booze?

Not drinking booze.

I quit on my 21st birthday.
What little I drank, I am reducing even more. Not only does it give me murderous heartburn - which means I don't sleep, but - as the only driver in my fam - it can wreak havoc on evening plans. It's just too much of a hassle.
 
DaveC426913 said:
What little I drank, I am reducing even more. Not only does it give me murderous heartburn - which means I don't sleep, but - as the only driver in my fam - it can wreak havoc on evening plans. It's just too much of a hassle.
Twice in my life I drank to excess, mostly to see what it was like. The resulting euphoria was negligible, the loss of dexterity and control annoying and the aftereffects painful. So I never developed the taste or the habit. Clearly I do not have the alcoholism gene.
 
DaveC426913 said:
What little I drank, I am reducing even more. Not only does it give me murderous heartburn - which means I don't sleep, but - as the only driver in my fam - it can wreak havoc on evening plans. It's just too much of a hassle.
About once a year I get the feeling I'd like a drink. So I lie down until the feeling goes away. :)

I will have a little Dom if I buy it for my GF but only a half a glass or so. No sense ruining a hot date!
 
Apparently I had not read the chapter ahead of time, so when my old-school Swiss physics professor walked in and introduced the concept of canonical coordinates, I thought he meant conical coordinates but was drunk.
 
First scientist - "I just discovered a faster than light particle"

Second Scientist - " I bet you didn't see that coming "
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, diogenesNY, BillTre and 3 others
1632714785993.png

prof. can we not do projectile motion problems without air resistance and instead do some real physics like unifying gravity with quantum mechanics??!
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: phinds, Borg and nuuskur