Collection of Science Jokes P2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 526K views
In the 1970's, the Pail and Shovel Party won the student government election at University of Wisconsin - Madison. They made three campaign promises:

Cover Bascom Hill with pink flamingos
Bring the Statue of Liberty to Lake Mendota
Party till the money was gone.

Probably the only case in history where a political party fulfilled every campaign promise.
Liberty.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
darth boozer said:
Only if you're using radians!
Yes, but even otherwise, the sin of pi is of practically negligible degree.
 
sysprog said:
Yes, but even otherwise, the sin of pi is of practically negligible degree.
I don't think that any religion ever put a sin on pie.
 
Steve Julian, who lectured me in thermodynamics, did his undergraduate degree at Toronto. Apparently the physics society was pretty active (the campus was in the middle of nowhere, he said) and ran monthly socials styled as "Einstein's Birthday Party", or Newton's, or other famous physicists. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any famous physicists with birthdays in September, so they didn't have a name for their first party of the academic year. But Boltzmann killed himself in September - so the "welcome to the PhysSoc" event was the Boltzmann Suicide Party.

Or so he told us. Dr Julian did a rather fine line in anecdotes to liven up a tough subject...
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian and Arjan82
fresh_42 said:
So you have to be bipolar, however depressive at least, to study thermodynamics and statistical mechanics successfully?
Hey, not my words! 😆 (Excerpt comes from Goodstein's "States of Matter")
 
Ibix said:
Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any famous physicists with birthdays in September, so they didn't have a name for their first party of the academic year. But Boltzmann killed himself in September - so the "welcome to the PhysSoc" event was the Boltzmann Suicide Party.
Well, bipolar, blind, and over 60. I can at least understand him [Boltzmann] a bit. Ehrenfest was a little younger, and only depression is reported. However, he doubted that he could proceed to do physics, and suffered from his son's handicap (trisomy 21). It was different back then. And both had a world war coming up!
 
Aaand the Jokes thread takes a wrong turn...

Let me check Google Maps to get back on course... :wink:
 
berkeman said:
Aaand the Jokes thread takes a wrong turn...

Let me check Google Maps to get back on course... :wink:
No worries. Just background information for general knowledge.
 
Ibix said:
Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any famous physicists with birthdays in September
Carl David Anderson - discovered the positron and the muon.
Arthur Compton - Compton effect
John Dalton - atoms
Michael Faraday - electromagnetism
Enrico Fermi - nuclear physics and much more

That's just a small selection from A-F.
 
mfb said:
That's just a small selection from A-F.
Then it's most likely that the Toronto physics society committee had a morbid sense of humour...
 
berkeman said:
Aaand the Jokes thread takes a wrong turn...
The topic of today's tutorial will be the calculus of statistical mechanics.
How does that make you feel?
 
A little Physics humor for this Valentine's day

I personally calculate momentum with inertia tensor! xD
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: mfb, Wrichik Basu, 256bits and 2 others
I store the sugar I need for everyday purposes (coffee, cooking, etc.) in a peanut butter jar. It is made of plastic. Last time, before I refilled it, I decided to put it into the dishwasher, 50° C. Afterwards, it wasn't 8 cm high anymore, only 6 cm.

Question: How fast will I have to throw it, such that it is 8 cm high again?
 
fresh_42 said:
Question: How fast will I have to throw it, such that it is 8 cm high again?
Measured length is proportional to ##\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}##, so ##i\sqrt{7}c/3##. Good luck!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier, WannabeEinstein and fresh_42
https://xkcd.com/2586/
greek_letters.png

Title text: If you ever see someone using a capital xi in an equation, just observe them quietly to learn as much as you can before they return to their home planet.

I've just had a close encounter of the third kind:
IMG_0125.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian, Wrichik Basu, collinsmark and 4 others
fresh_42 said:
I store the sugar I need for everyday purposes (coffee, cooking, etc.) in a peanut butter jar. It is made of plastic. Last time, before I refilled it, I decided to put it into the dishwasher, 50° C. Afterwards, it wasn't 8 cm high anymore, only 6 cm.

Question: How fast will I have to throw it, such that it is 8 cm high again?
It's length contraction, not length expansion. You can accelerate the sugar, however. Be aware that you can't contain it in that state.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg and Ibix
mfb said:
It's length contraction, not length expansion. You can accelerate the sugar, however. Be aware that you can't contain it in that state.
Yes, maybe I should have asked: Given its diameter is 7 cm, 6cm its height, how much sugar will I have to put into it such that spaghettification makes it 2 cm higher?