Engineering & Physics Programs: College Guidance for High School Seniors

In summary, the conversation discusses the best colleges for engineering and physics programs, as well as the individual's chances of getting into top universities based on their current academic record and standardized test scores. Some recommended options include U of Maryland-College Park, U of Illinois-Urbana Champaign, Penn State-University Park, Purdue University, and Case Western Reserve University. The individual also mentions being an international student and their preference for attending a college in the US or Canada.
Which colleges are well known for having good engineering, physics programs?
I'm going to be a senior in high school and I really love physics but I don't think I can get into the top notch universities like Stanford, Caltech, etc. My SAT scores aren't too good (reasoning: 1970, mathII: 700, physics: 680, I'll be taking these again) and I have a GPA of about 3.4.

Can anybody tell me about what range of universities I would be able to get into with this record?

btw, I'll be an international student

PS I'm hoping to go to a college in US or Canada

Physics news on Phys.org
Some great options would be: U of Maryland-College Park, U of Illinois-Urbana Champaign, Penn State-University Park, and Purdue University.

I can vouch for University Park. They have a big Physics department and are very big on Research. They also have a separate college just for engineering including almost every engineering discipline.

I don't know much about other colleges so I can't recommend very many, but look at Case Western Reserve University and Georgia Tech.

What are the top engineering and physics programs for high school seniors to consider?

The top engineering and physics programs for high school seniors to consider are often highly ranked universities such as MIT, Stanford, Caltech, and University of California-Berkeley. These schools have strong reputations and well-established programs in these fields.

What types of courses should high school seniors take to prepare for engineering and physics programs in college?

High school seniors interested in engineering and physics programs should take as many math and science courses as possible, including calculus, physics, chemistry, and computer science. It is also helpful to take courses in engineering and design if available.

Are there any specific extracurricular activities that can help high school seniors stand out in the college application process for engineering and physics programs?

Participating in extracurricular activities related to engineering and physics, such as robotics clubs, math and science competitions, or research projects, can help high school seniors stand out in the college application process. It shows a strong interest and dedication to the field.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing an engineering or physics program in college?

Some important factors to consider when choosing an engineering or physics program in college include the reputation and ranking of the program, the availability of research opportunities and internships, the expertise and qualifications of the faculty, and the resources and facilities available for students.

What are some career options for graduates with degrees in engineering or physics?

Graduates with degrees in engineering or physics have a wide range of career options, including working as engineers, researchers, consultants, or educators. They can also pursue careers in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, or technology. Some may also choose to pursue advanced degrees in these fields.