College math requirements for non-science majors

In summary, the math requirements for those not majoring in science, engineering, or finance vary depending on the university and community college. Generally, one or two courses in laboratory science are required for general education, but physics is not always mandatory. As for mathematics, most institutions require college algebra as a minimum, but other options such as precalculus, trigonometry, finite math, or statistics may be accepted. The difficulty of college algebra depends on the individual and the teacher, but it is generally considered a challenging course. Non-science majors may also be required to take an introductory statistics course. Overall, college algebra covers more advanced topics than high school algebra, including quadratic and higher degree polynomial functions, rational functions, sequences and series,
Kutt
What are the math requirements for those not majoring in science, engineering, or finance?

Are non-science majors still required to take physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the university and community college catalogs for what requirements. One of the general education requirements would include one or two courses of some laboratory science, but Physics is a possible but not required option.

Best that I remember of the minimum Mathematics requirement, College Algebra as the REQUIRED college level course, although "PreCalculus" or Trigonometry, Finite Math, or Statistics might be accepted instead.

symbolipoint said:
Check the university and community college catalogs for what requirements. One of the general education requirements would include one or two courses of some laboratory science, but Physics is a possible but not required option.

Best that I remember of the minimum Mathematics requirement, College Algebra as the REQUIRED college level course, although "PreCalculus" or Trigonometry, Finite Math, or Statistics might be accepted instead.

Is college algebra particularly difficult?

Kutt said:
What are the math requirements for those not majoring in science, engineering, or finance?
For those not majoring in science, engineering, or finance? Well if they were majoring in interpretive dance I would think the math requirement would be nil.

Kutt said:

If I was a non-science major in say, Middle Eastern Politics, I doubt very much I would be required to study physics.

Devils said:
For those not majoring in science, engineering, or finance? Well if they were majoring in interpretive dance I would think the math requirement would be nil.
If I was a non-science major in say, Middle Eastern Politics, I doubt very much I would be required to study physics.

Yes, but the general education curriculum contains college algebra as well as statistics. Regardless of your major, you are required to earn a certain amount of credits in this subject in order to graduate and earn your degree.

Kutt said:
Yes, but the general education curriculum contains college algebra as well as statistics. Regardless of your major, you are required to earn a certain amount of credits in this subject in order to graduate and earn your degree.

Not in Australia. For example if I look through all the majors in Bachelor of Arts at the local university, there is no science or maths requirements.

http://www.usq.edu.au/handbook/current/arts/BART.html#programenrolment.pattern

And no swimming test in Australia either http://swimtest.cornell.edu/ (we prefer to win Olympic medals instead).

Last edited by a moderator:
Kutt said:
Is college algebra particularly difficult?

The difficulty depends on you; on your teacher; or on both you and your teacher.
An answer to help characterise the difficulty is, it's very difficult, like "Intermediate Algebra" slightly metamorphising into a werewolf.

Kutt said:

Are BOTH required, or are you supposed to pick one? Statistics is probably an elementary college level course. Not sure where in the world you will attend, but College Algebra in U.S.A. is a terminal Math course for non-science major fields, but PreCalculus is usually used for qualifying for the study of Calculus & Analytic Geometry. PreCalculus is also known as "College Algebra and Trigonometry".

Kutt said:

1)Usually, you are only required to take College Algebra*

2)No, but typically you'll need to take one or two science courses, this can include physics, but also biology, chemistry, geology, and perhaps geography.

*If you major in business you will probably be forced to take an intro to stat course. It isn't difficult, but if you are required to do so, do it as soon as possible after taking algebra.

As for if Algebra is hard or not. It isn't 'hard' per se, just most people who take algebra at college have no interest in math and thus do not spend extra time studying for it. Math is one of those classes you have to spend time on and do a lot of problems. If you ask questions and solve problems, you should find it reasonable.

MarneMath said:
1)Usually, you are only required to take College Algebra*

2)No, but typically you'll need to take one or two science courses, this can include physics, but also biology, chemistry, geology, and perhaps geography.

*If you major in business you will probably be forced to take an intro to stat course. It isn't difficult, but if you are required to do so, do it as soon as possible after taking algebra.

As for if Algebra is hard or not. It isn't 'hard' per se, just most people who take algebra at college have no interest in math and thus do not spend extra time studying for it. Math is one of those classes you have to spend time on and do a lot of problems. If you ask questions and solve problems, you should find it reasonable.

How much more advanced with college algebra as opposed to algebra in high school?

Kutt said:
How much more advanced with college algebra as opposed to algebra in high school?

Exact course content varies among districts, so not easy to give a perfect answer.

Introductory/Beginning/Elementary Algebra and Intermediate Algebra are remedial courses at community college; they are not for college credit. These are also high school courses but there they are categorized as "College Preparatory".

Some topic differences briefly:

Intermediate Algebra - Quadratic functions and graphs, a few cubic functions, rational equations, Sequences & Series, Exponential functions and their inverses (logarithmic functions), sometimes also simple systems of linear and linear & quadratic equations. Maybe a bit of Binomial Theorem.

College Algebra - Quadratic functions and higher degree polynomial functions and their graphs, Rational functions including their graphs, various ways to study and find zeros of functions, Sequences & Series including their limits, Exponential Functions and their inverses and possibly more intricate and advanced, sometimes/often more advanced study of systems of equations (usually linear equations and some introduction to matrices for systems of linear equations), a bit of Binomial Theorem.

Last edited:
The minimal requirement for math GEs at my undergrad was Calc I+II or a brutal 6 unit computer science weeder class so yeah. College algebra is not hard.

This depends entirely on where you go. MIT requires two semesters of calculus and one of physics. My sister fulfilled her science requirement with "fashion and textiles". And there's everything in between.

Unfortunately my math skills do not go beyond basic calculator arithmetic.

*Addition
*Subtraction
*Multiplication
*Division

Kutt said:
Unfortunately my math skills do not go beyond basic calculator arithmetic.

*Addition
*Subtraction
*Multiplication
*Division

Kutt,
If that is how your Mathematics knowledge is, you may be ready for either Pre-Algebra or an Algebra 1 course (sometimes called Beginning, or Basic, or Introductory, or Elementary Algebra).

symbolipoint said:
Kutt,
If that is how your Mathematics knowledge is, you may be ready for either Pre-Algebra or an Algebra 1 course (sometimes called Beginning, or Basic, or Introductory, or Elementary Algebra).

I have a specific learning disability in mathematical comprehension and even basic algebra might be a struggle for me.

1. What math courses are typically required for non-science majors in college?

Most colleges require non-science majors to take at least one or two math courses, which may include topics such as algebra, statistics, or calculus. The specific courses required may vary depending on the college and the major.

2. Are there any exemptions or alternatives to taking math courses for non-science majors?

Some colleges may offer exemptions or alternatives to taking traditional math courses for non-science majors. For example, students may be able to take a math course specifically designed for their major or fulfill the requirement through a quantitative reasoning course.

3. How important are math courses for non-science majors in college?

While math may not be directly related to every non-science major, it is still an important skill to have in many fields. Math courses can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in any career.

4. Can I take math courses at a lower level if I am not confident in my math skills?

Many colleges offer math courses at different levels, so if you are not confident in your math skills, you may be able to take lower-level courses to build a strong foundation. However, make sure to check with your academic advisor to ensure that the courses you choose will fulfill the math requirement for your major.

5. Do I need to take a math placement test before enrolling in math courses for non-science majors?

Some colleges may require non-science majors to take a math placement test to determine their level of math proficiency. This can help place students in appropriate courses and ensure they have the necessary skills to succeed in their math courses.