What caused the collision between Amy's Perodua Myvi and the Honda Insight?

In summary, Amy was traveling under the speed limit of 60km/h when her Perodua Myvi 1.3 was struck by a Honda Insight traveling South at the same speed. After the collision, her car skidded 15m while the Honda Insight skidded 30m. Further analysis is needed to determine the exact speed of the vehicles before the collision.
gamepro9
Amy was traveling East with Perodua Myvi 1.3 when she entered the fateful intersection. When she reached the center of the intersection, her car was struck by the other car, Honda Insight which was traveling South. Her car skidded 15m and the Honda Insight skidded 30m after the collision. The speed limit on both roads is 60km/h
Prove that she was under the speed limit

I could not find enough info from this question to calculate. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• DSC03237.jpg
    DSC03237.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
What equations do you know that might be applicable to this?

M1U1+M2U2=M1V1+M2V2
i think is related to this formula

I'm coming to the conclusion that we have to make some unreasonable assumptions, in order to arrive at an answer.

Had we been asked to prove that she was speeding, I'd have offered the evidence that her car moved the house back 10 metres! :smile:

The fact that the car from the north seems to have been involved in two collisions may be a clue, on the other hand, it may be a red herring. Maybe it just clipped a power pole? Though if the vehicles do collide for a second time, the force of collision deflects their paths in exactly the wrong directions!

The collision transferred to the east-travelling car an amount of momentum equal to that with which it had before the collision. But an equal loss of momentum by the car from the north seems to not have slowed its southward progression by nearly as much, implying that it had lots more momentum to begin with. The eastwards momentum that was transferred to the car from the north deflected its travel only slightly in comparison with its southward travel.

Their paths actually cross again after the collision, too. Mysteriously. Maybe there's a clue there. Obviously, the car with greatest speed got to the point where paths intersect ahead of the later car.

I'm not going to be able to solve this on my own!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply..erm i think this collision is inelastic.. the thing you saying is for elastic if i m not mistaken.. look at the picture.

gamepro9 said:
Thanks for your reply..erm i think this collision is inelastic.. the thing you saying is for elastic if i m not mistaken.. look at the picture.
Transfer of momentum is independent of elastic or inelastic collision. By "looking at the picture" I can make no deduction regarding elastic or inelastic (except in the obvious case where the two vehicles become fused together).

1) What causes a collision between two cars?

A collision between two cars is typically caused by one or both drivers not following traffic rules and regulations, such as speeding, running a red light, or not yielding to right of way.

2) How do scientists study and analyze car collisions?

Scientists study and analyze car collisions by conducting experiments, using computer simulations, and analyzing data from real-life accidents. They also use crash test dummies and specialized equipment to gather data and understand the forces involved in a collision.

3) What are some common injuries that occur in a car collision?

Some common injuries that occur in a car collision include whiplash, head injuries, broken bones, and cuts and bruises. The severity of these injuries can vary depending on the speed and force of the collision.

4) How can car collisions be prevented?

Car collisions can be prevented by following traffic laws and regulations, maintaining a safe distance from other cars, and avoiding distractions while driving. It is also important to regularly maintain and service your vehicle to ensure it is in good working condition.

5) What impact does the weight and size of a car have on the likelihood of a collision?

The weight and size of a car can impact the likelihood of a collision in several ways. Heavier and larger cars may have more momentum and be harder to stop, increasing the risk of a collision. Additionally, larger cars may have more blind spots and be more difficult to maneuver, making them more prone to accidents.