Collision between falling body and body shot upwards

In summary: I solved for time and then used the previous hint to solve for displacement. Here are the two equations:v2 = -9.8t2 + 22d2v1 = -9.8t1 + 22d1In summary, Ball A was dropped from the top of a 22m building and Ball B was thrown upwards at 22m/s. The two balls meet when their displacements overlap and the displacement of Ball B is d=d0.
jasper619
Hi this is my first post thanks to who ever contributes!

Homework Statement

A man drops a ball from the top of a 22m building. At the same instant his friend below throws a ball upwards at 22 m/s. What distance from the ground do the two balls meet.

Ball A
-------
v1 = 0 m/s
a = 9.8m/s down
t=?
d=?

Ball B
--------
v1 = 22 m/s up
a = 9.8 m/s down
t = ?
d = ?

This assumes that ball A was dropped right at 22m and the other ball was thrown from ground level. Air resistance is negligible.

My attempts have all failed my general approach was to solve for time that they hit at and then use that to find the distance one of the balls traveled. We are to use basic equations relevant to kinematics, force or energy (no calculus related stuff). Any help would be much appreciated

Jasper

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

HINT: In terms of the balls' displacement, what does a 'collision' mean?

well wouldn't a collision be when the displacements overlap?

jasper619 said:
well wouldn't a collision be when the displacements overlap?
If the balls collide at a height d0 above the ground, then the displacement of ball B is d=d0. What is the displacement of ball B?

Hootenanny said:
If the balls collide at a height d0 above the ground, then the displacement of ball B is d=d0. What is the displacement of ball B?

If you meant what is the displacement of ball a then it is d = 22 - d0 right?

hmm wait I think i know what to do now I will post my result

jasper619 said:
If you meant what is the displacement of ball a then it is d = 22 - d0 right?
Indeed I did and that is correct. :smile:

I don't know what to do with time as all my formulas ask for it any tips would be nice

jasper619 said:
I don't know what to do with time as all my formulas ask for it any tips would be nice
My hint is pretty much the same as for the displacement: the balls must collide at the same time. You should be able to write down two equations, one force each ball. Each equation should have two unknowns - time and displacement (don't forget to use the previous hint for displacement). Now, you have two equations with two unknowns - how would you usually go about solving this type of problem?

Ya i figured it out thanks alot

1. What happens when a falling body collides with a body shot upwards?

When a falling body collides with a body shot upwards, the two bodies exert a force on each other. The direction of this force depends on factors such as the masses of the bodies and the velocity and angle at which they collide. This force can result in a change in the motion of both bodies, such as a change in velocity or direction.

2. How does the mass of the falling body affect the collision?

The mass of the falling body plays a significant role in the collision. A higher mass will result in a greater force exerted on the body it collides with, potentially causing a more significant change in motion. Conversely, a lower mass will result in a weaker force and a smaller change in motion.

3. What is the impact of the velocity of the falling body on the collision?

The velocity of the falling body also has a significant impact on the collision. A higher velocity will result in a greater force exerted on the body it collides with, potentially causing a more significant change in motion. On the other hand, a lower velocity will result in a weaker force and a smaller change in motion.

4. How does the angle of collision affect the outcome?

The angle at which the two bodies collide also plays a role in the outcome of the collision. A head-on collision will result in a different force and change in motion compared to a glancing collision. The angle can also affect the direction of the resulting motion.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the outcome of the collision?

Aside from mass, velocity, and angle, other factors can also influence the outcome of the collision. These can include the elasticity of the bodies, the surface on which they collide, and the presence of any external forces such as friction. These factors can impact the amount of force exerted and the resulting motion of the bodies involved.