How Do You Calculate Final Velocities in a Two-Mass Elastic Collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the total momentum by using the formula p=mv, as well as determining the angle using inverse trigonometry. Despite the attempts, all submitted answers were incorrect, possibly due to the fact that momentum is a vector and needs to be added as such.
davev
http://i.minus.com/i7YDkagp0bChQ.png

Homework Equations

p = mv

(v1m1 + v2m2)
Vf = --------------------
(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that the total momentum was 9.64 by using p=mv for summing m1, v1 and m2, v2. Then I used inverse trig to try to find the angle, but all the answers I submit are incorrect. I'm not sure what way to go here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The momentum is vector, and the momentums sum as vectors.

ehild

All the answers are still positive, so I don't understand what you mean.

How do you add two vectors?

ehild

The collision shown in the image appears to be an elastic collision, where both masses retain their original shape and total kinetic energy is conserved. In this case, we can use the equation for conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

In this case, we can write the equation as:

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

Where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, v1i and v2i are their initial velocities, and v1f and v2f are their final velocities after the collision.

We are given the initial velocities of both objects (v1i = 5.2 m/s and v2i = 3.8 m/s) and we can calculate their masses from the given information (m1 = 1.8 kg and m2 = 1.4 kg). So we have:

(1.8 kg)(5.2 m/s) + (1.4 kg)(3.8 m/s) = (1.8 kg)(v1f) + (1.4 kg)(v2f)

Solving for v1f and v2f, we get:

v1f = (1.8 kg)(5.2 m/s) + (1.4 kg)(3.8 m/s) - (1.4 kg)(3.8 m/s) / 1.8 kg = 4.6 m/s

v2f = (1.8 kg)(5.2 m/s) + (1.4 kg)(3.8 m/s) - (1.8 kg)(5.2 m/s) / 1.4 kg = 4.4 m/s

So after the collision, the first mass will be moving at 4.6 m/s and the second mass will be moving at 4.4 m/s. To find the angle of the final velocity vector, we can use the equation:

Vf = √(vxf^2 + vyf^2)

Where vxf and vyf are the x and y components of the final velocity vector. Since the collision is in one dimension (x direction), the final velocity vector will only have an x component. So we can write:

Vf = √(vxf^2)

Where

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Final Velocities in a Two-Mass Elastic Collision?

What is the collision of two masses?

The collision of two masses is a phenomenon that occurs when two objects with mass come into contact with each other and exert forces on each other. This can result in changes in the objects' velocities and/or deformation of the objects.

What factors affect the outcome of a collision between two masses?

The outcome of a collision between two masses is affected by factors such as the masses of the objects, their velocities before the collision, and the materials and shapes of the objects. Other factors that can impact the collision include the angle and direction of the collision, as well as any external forces acting on the objects.

What types of collisions can occur between two masses?

There are two main types of collisions between two masses: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved and the objects bounce off each other with no loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and the objects may stick together or deform upon impact.

How is momentum conserved in a collision between two masses?

Momentum, the product of an object's mass and velocity, is always conserved in a collision between two masses. This means that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This principle is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

How do scientists study collisions between two masses?

Scientists study collisions between two masses through experiments and mathematical modeling. They can use tools such as motion sensors and video analysis to measure the objects' velocities and positions before and after the collision. They also use principles of physics, such as conservation of momentum and energy, to analyze and understand the results of collisions.

Back