Collision Problem: Determining Mass of Ball

• Thread starter terryds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary: You should use the center of mass frame when dealing with elastic collisions between particles. You make a mistake when you use the lab frame instead.
terryds

Homework Statement

Two titanium balls approaches each other with same speed and then collides elastically. After the colision, one of the ball which mass is 300 g becomes motionless.
Determine the mass of another ball

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum and energy

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
(I use (+) sign for the direction of 0.3 kg ball movement)

p = p'
0.3 v - m v = 0 + m v'

E=E'
(1/2)(0.3)v^2 + (1/2) m v^2 = (1/2) m (v')^2
0.3 v^2 + 1/2(m)(v^2) = (1/2) m (v')^2

There are three unknowns : m,v, and v' yet I can only find two equations.
Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to find all three values though ... you can eliminate v' and v at the same time by putting each expression in terms of v/v' (or set v'=1).

Simon Bridge said:
You don't need to find all three values though ... you can eliminate v' and v at the same time by putting each expression in terms of v/v' (or set v'=1).

0.3 (v/v') - m (v/v') = m

0.3 (v/v')^2 + 1/2(m)(v/v')^2 = (1/2) m

I get (v/v') = 1/3 and m=0.075 kg

Is it correct? The solution manual says it is 100 gram, but I doubt it though since it's not a book, just a paper

Please help

terryds said:

Is it correct? The solution manual says it is 100 gram, but I doubt it though since it's not a book, just a paper

The answer 100 gram is correct.

Analyze the problem in the CM (center-of-momentum) frame, in which the initial total momentum = 0. So, if the particles have masses m1 and m2 and move with respective velocities v and -v in the lab frame, the velocities of particles 1 and 2 in the CM frame are v-u and -v-u, where u = velocity of CM frame as measured in the lab frame.

Now, the nice thing about the CM frame is that for a perfectly elastic 2-particle collision the initial and final speeds of each particle (separately) remain unchanged; that is, each particle's kinetic energy remains unchanged by the collision. That means that the CM-frame velocity of particle after the collision is -(v-u) = u-v. Now transform back to the lab frame.

Ray Vickson said:

Analyze the problem in the CM (center-of-momentum) frame, in which the initial total momentum = 0. So, if the particles have masses m1 and m2 and move with respective velocities v and -v in the lab frame, the velocities of particles 1 and 2 in the CM frame are v-u and -v-u, where u = velocity of CM frame as measured in the lab frame.

Now, the nice thing about the CM frame is that for a perfectly elastic 2-particle collision the initial and final speeds of each particle (separately) remain unchanged; that is, each particle's kinetic energy remains unchanged by the collision. That means that the CM-frame velocity of particle after the collision is -(v-u) = u-v. Now transform back to the lab frame.

Why should I use CM frame? Could you point out my mistakes on my approach?

Alright, so
v1' = -(v-u) = u-v
v2' = -(-v-u) = v+u

In the lab frame,
v1' = u-v
0 = u-v
u = v

v2' = v+u = 2v

p' = 0 + 2mv

p = p'
0.3v - mv = 2mv
m = 0.1 kg = 100 gram

But, Why should I use CM frame? Could you point out my mistakes in my approach using just lab frame? When to use CM frame, when not to?

terryds said:
Please help
Ray Vickson said:

Analyze the problem in the CM (center-of-momentum) frame, in which the initial total momentum = 0.

Now, the nice thing about the CM frame is that for a perfectly elastic 2-particle collision
terryds said:
Why should I use CM frame?
You ask for help.

You are given help.

You don't like the help you're given, even though it gives you the correct answer.

Added in Edit:
Well, OK ...
terryds said:

How did you get (v/v') = 1/3 ?

I get something else.

Last edited:
Likes Douglas Sunday
terryds said:

You miss a "1/2" in the first term.

Likes terryds
Please help
... I am in a different time zone to you sorry.
Could you point out my mistakes in my approach using just lab frame?
... you initially wrote:
terryds said:

You probably just made an algebraic or arithmetic error - go through and check each step.
[edit: confirmed above]

To answer your last question: you do not have to use CM frame to do this problem.
However, this frame is one where the maths is usually easier so you are less likely to make mistakes.

Note: One of the advantages to providing assistance free of charge is that you get to give someone the assistance they need as opposed to the assistance they ask for. People will not always like the answers they get. Someone who could be relaxing in front of the TV with a hot SO and a shot of Irish, took the trouble to reply a certain way because they thought that person, and anyone else who googles to the thread in some future years from now, would need to hear it.

Last edited:
Likes terryds and SammyS
SammyS said:
You ask for help.

You are given help.

You don't like the help you're given, even though it gives you the correct answer.

Added in Edit:
Well, OK ...

How did you get (v/v') = 1/3 ?

I get something else.
Sorry, I was just curious about CM frame method since I hadn't learned it yet. But, thanks to Ray Vickson for making me know there's such method.

ehild said:
Thanks for pointing out my mistake!

Simon Bridge said:
... I am in a different time zone to you sorry.
... you initially wrote:

You probably just made an algebraic or arithmetic error - go through and check each step.
[edit: confirmed above]

To answer your last question: you do not have to use CM frame to do this problem.
However, this frame is one where the maths is usually easier so you are less likely to make mistakes.

Note: One of the advantages to providing assistance free of charge is that you get to give someone the assistance they need as opposed to the assistance they ask for. People will not always like the answers they get. Someone who could be relaxing in front of the TV with a hot SO and a shot of Irish, took the trouble to reply a certain way because they thought that person, and anyone else who googles to the thread in some future years from now, would need to hear it.
Thank you so much! I've just learned CM frame because of the reply, and it really helps me in solving momentum problem.

Likes Simon Bridge
ehild said:
Oh my !

I thought that was merely a typo in @terryds's post, not in his working of the problem.

Very simple using transfer of momentum for an elastic collision:

Δp = 2μΔv where μ is the reduced mass (m1xm2/[m1+m2]) and Δv the relative velocity.

Then 300v - 2 x 300m/(300+m) x 2v = 0 whence 1 - 4m/(300+m) = 0.

FAQ: Collision Problem: Determining Mass of Ball

1. How do you determine the mass of a ball in a collision problem?

In order to determine the mass of a ball in a collision problem, you must first know the velocity and momentum of the ball before and after the collision. By using the momentum equation (p=mv), you can rearrange it to solve for the mass (m=p/v).

2. What is the importance of determining the mass of a ball in a collision problem?

Determining the mass of a ball in a collision problem is important because it allows us to understand the dynamics of the collision and calculate other important quantities such as kinetic energy and final velocities.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the mass of a ball in a collision problem?

The accuracy of determining the mass of a ball in a collision problem can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction, and the elasticity of the colliding objects. It is important to account for these factors in order to obtain a more accurate measurement.

4. Can the mass of a ball change during a collision?

In most cases, the mass of a ball does not change during a collision. However, if there is a transfer of material or a change in the state of the ball (e.g. melting, breaking apart), then the mass may change. These cases are usually not considered in simple collision problems.

5. How does the type of collision affect the determination of the mass of a ball?

The type of collision can affect the determination of the mass of a ball in that it may provide different information and equations to use. For example, in an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. This affects how we can calculate the mass of the ball using the given information.