Collisions of molecules: Calculating Collision Rates in a Gas Box

In summary, the question asks for the rate of collisions on one wall of a 10cm^3 box containing nitrogen at 20°C. To solve this, we need to use the ideal gas law and Avogadro's Law to determine the number of molecules in the box. Then, we can use the formula for the rate of collisions to calculate the answer.
fredrick08
[SOLVED] collisions of molecules..

Homework Statement

a 10cm^3 box contains nitrogen at 20degreeC. What is the rate of collisions on one wal of he box.

Homework Equations

kb=1.38x10^-23
1u=1.661x10^-27
molecular mass of N2=28u
avagadros number=6.02x10^23mol^-1
vrms=sqrt((3kbT/m))
rate of collisions=(1/2)(N/V)Av

The Attempt at a Solution

omg i got no idea where even start with this one... I am pretty sure i could do it if they gave me the mass of the gas or the number of molecules... but I am just stuck... y do they give me avagdros number? I am srry I am just really confused bout this one... anyone please help??

Physics news on Phys.org
n=N/Na?? but i don't know n?

Remember, an ideal gas (such as N2) has a molar volume of 22,400 cubic centimeters per mole at STP (Avogadro's Law).

We know the volume of the box, so we know how many moles of ideal gas there are at 20°C, so we know how many molecules there are.

Last edited:
oh ok ty

You're very welcome.
Once you're satisfied with the problem, please change the title to "[SOLVED] Collisions of molecules".
Good luck!

Related to Collisions of molecules: Calculating Collision Rates in a Gas Box

1. What are collisions of molecules?

Collisions of molecules refer to the physical interaction between two or more molecules in a chemical reaction. This collision can result in the formation of new chemical bonds or the breaking of existing bonds.

2. How do collisions of molecules affect chemical reactions?

Collisions of molecules play a crucial role in determining the rate of a chemical reaction. The more frequent and energetic the collisions between molecules, the faster the reaction will proceed.

3. What factors influence the frequency and energy of collisions between molecules?

The frequency and energy of collisions between molecules can be influenced by various factors such as temperature, concentration, and the presence of a catalyst. Higher temperatures and concentrations generally lead to more frequent and energetic collisions, while a catalyst can lower the activation energy needed for a reaction to occur.

4. How are collisions of molecules related to reaction rates?

The rate of a chemical reaction is directly proportional to the frequency of collisions between molecules. As the number of collisions increases, so does the rate of the reaction. However, not all collisions result in a chemical reaction, as the molecules must have a minimum amount of energy and proper orientation to form new bonds.

5. Can we control collisions of molecules in a reaction?

While we cannot control individual collisions between molecules, we can influence the overall frequency and energy of collisions through various factors such as temperature, concentration, and the use of a catalyst. By carefully adjusting these factors, we can optimize the conditions for a desired reaction to occur.