1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinations of Continuous Functions

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let g: ℝ→ℝ satisfy the relation g (x+y) = g(x)g(y) for all x, y in ℝ. if g is continuous at x =0 then g is continuous at every point of ℝ.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let W be an ε-neighborhood of g(0). Since g is continuous at 0, there is a δ-neighborhood V of 0 = f(c)...not sure where to proceed from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2
    you want to prove lim_{y->0}g(x+y)=g(x), now you know how to use your condition on g.

4. Mar 15, 2012 #3
    Okay, so continuing with my proof:

At x = 0, then g(0+y) = g(o)g(y) = g(0)+g(y)
    → g(0) = g(y) (g(0)-1) ... then what? I dont understand how to proceed...

5. Mar 15, 2012 #4
    First, check your derivation here for mistakes, and find what value g(0) may be. THEN use the hint I gave you for ARBITRARY x and y→0

6. Mar 15, 2012 #5
    so am i missing a concept, when a problem says x→0 for the lim g, does that mean to apply to g(x) and g(y) not just g(x)?

7. Mar 16, 2012 #6
    I just don't see how to determine the value of g(o)....I am stumped!

8. Mar 16, 2012 #7
    so is g(0) = 1?

9. Mar 16, 2012 #8
    You got it right. Since g(x)=g(x+0)=g(x)g(0), you have either g(0)=1 ( or g(x)=0 for all x's which is trivial.)
    Now you can try to prove continuity by proving [itex]\lim_{y\rightarrow0}g(x+y)=\lim_{y\rightarrow0}g(x)g(y)=g(x)g(0)=g(x)[/itex], that's about it.

10. Mar 16, 2012 #9
    Thank you so much,i finally understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook