Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinations with repitions when there's limits on how many repitions

1. Sep 7, 2014 #1
    Note, this is not a homework problem, as I'm not even in college. I just had a quick question.

I know the formulas to do things such as "How many ways could you choose 5 balls from a tub of yellow, red, and blue colored balls?" (where you envision in this case, a tub where there's more than 5 yellow, more than 5 red, and more than 5 blue)

But what if you have a situation where say, there's more than 5 red and more than 5 blue, but maybe there's only 3 yellow? So there's a "limit" on one of your repetition groups. When you run in to situations like this, do you have to break things down in to disjoint sets?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Perhaps if you write out an example of such a formula, someone can tell you how to modify it to work in the case when there are only 3 yellow balls.

4. Sep 7, 2014 #3
    Sure. So if the task is to determine how many colored 5-ball subsets are possible using a tub of yellow, red, and blue colored balls, this would be (using the formula on this pdf http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~stephens/203/PDF/6-5.pdf):

C(5 + (3-1), 5) = C(7,5) = 7!/(5!(7-5)!) = 7!/(5!2!) = 7*6/2! = 7*3 = 21

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook