1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinatorial identity

1. Nov 4, 2012 #1
    Let [itex]B_{k}(x)=\sum_{n\geq 0}\binom{n}{k}\frac{x^{n}}{n!}[/itex]. Show that

[itex]B_{k}(x)B_{l}(x)=\frac{1}{2^{k+l}}\binom{k+l}{l}B_{k+l}(2x)[/itex].

I'm having some trouble with this one. Does anyone have any hints? I've tried using Cauchy product and Chu-Vandermonde equality but I get [itex]B_{k}(x)B_l(x)=\sum_{n\geq 0}\binom{n}{k+l}\frac{(2x)^{n}}{n!}=B_{k+l}(2x)[/itex].

I'm not sure where the [itex]\frac{1}{2^{k+l}}\binom{k+l}{l}[/itex] comes from.

I'm also suppose to take the x^n/n! coefficient of both sides and show which binomial coefficient identity this gives.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Probably most useful to you is to find the error in what you have done, but for that you'll need to post your working. (And a statement or URL for any existing result your rely on.)
    But fwiw, I get:
    [itex]B_{k}(x)=\sum_{n\geq 0}\binom{n}{k}\frac{x^{n}}{n!} = \sum_{n\geq k}\binom{n}{k}\frac{x^{n}}{n!}
    = \sum_{n\geq 0}\binom{n+k}{k}\frac{x^{n+k}}{(n+k)!}
    = x^k\sum_{n\geq 0}\frac{x^{n}}{n!k!}
    = \frac{x^k}{k!}\sum_{n\geq 0}\frac{x^{n}}{n!} = \frac{x^k}{k!}e^x[/itex]

4. Nov 4, 2012 #3
    I don't see how Bk(x) = x^k/k! * e^x. I checked with specific values and it doesn't hold.

5. Nov 4, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What values? Seems ok for k = 0, 1, 2.

6. Nov 5, 2012 #5
    You're right. My mistake.

Thanks.

7. Nov 5, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, good. Did that help you solve the OP?

8. Nov 5, 2012 #7
    Yes, I solved it. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook