Proving the Combinatorial Identity for B_k(x)B_l(x)

• Thread starter BrownianMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, for a binomial distribution with k>1, the sum of the kth powers of x is binomial(k+1), and the product of the kth powers of x and the kth power of 2 is binomial(k+2).
BrownianMan
Let [itex]B_{k}(x)=\sum_{n\geq 0}\binom{n}{k}\frac{x^{n}}{n!}[/itex]. Show that

[itex]B_{k}(x)B_{l}(x)=\frac{1}{2^{k+l}}\binom{k+l}{l}B_{k+l}(2x)[/itex].

I'm having some trouble with this one. Does anyone have any hints? I've tried using Cauchy product and Chu-Vandermonde equality but I get [itex]B_{k}(x)B_l(x)=\sum_{n\geq 0}\binom{n}{k+l}\frac{(2x)^{n}}{n!}=B_{k+l}(2x)[/itex].

I'm not sure where the [itex]\frac{1}{2^{k+l}}\binom{k+l}{l}[/itex] comes from.

I'm also suppose to take the x^n/n! coefficient of both sides and show which binomial coefficient identity this gives.

Physics news on Phys.org
BrownianMan said:
Let [itex]B_{k}(x)=\sum_{n\geq 0}\binom{n}{k}\frac{x^{n}}{n!}[/itex]. Show that

[itex]B_{k}(x)B_{l}(x)=\frac{1}{2^{k+l}}\binom{k+l}{l}B_{k+l}(2x)[/itex].

I'm having some trouble with this one. Does anyone have any hints? I've tried using Cauchy product and Chu-Vandermonde equality but I get [itex]B_{k}(x)B_l(x)=\sum_{n\geq 0}\binom{n}{k+l}\frac{(2x)^{n}}{n!}=B_{k+l}(2x)[/itex].

I'm not sure where the [itex]\frac{1}{2^{k+l}}\binom{k+l}{l}[/itex] comes from.

I'm also suppose to take the x^n/n! coefficient of both sides and show which binomial coefficient identity this gives.
Probably most useful to you is to find the error in what you have done, but for that you'll need to post your working. (And a statement or URL for any existing result your rely on.)
But fwiw, I get:
[itex]B_{k}(x)=\sum_{n\geq 0}\binom{n}{k}\frac{x^{n}}{n!} = \sum_{n\geq k}\binom{n}{k}\frac{x^{n}}{n!}
= \sum_{n\geq 0}\binom{n+k}{k}\frac{x^{n+k}}{(n+k)!}
= x^k\sum_{n\geq 0}\frac{x^{n}}{n!k!}
= \frac{x^k}{k!}\sum_{n\geq 0}\frac{x^{n}}{n!} = \frac{x^k}{k!}e^x[/itex]

I don't see how Bk(x) = x^k/k! * e^x. I checked with specific values and it doesn't hold.

BrownianMan said:
I don't see how Bk(x) = x^k/k! * e^x. I checked with specific values and it doesn't hold.
What values? Seems ok for k = 0, 1, 2.

haruspex said:
What values? Seems ok for k = 0, 1, 2.

You're right. My mistake.

Thanks.

OK, good. Did that help you solve the OP?

Yes, I solved it. Thanks again!

What is combinatorial identity?

Combinatorial identity is a mathematical concept that refers to the equality of two expressions that count the same set of objects or outcomes, even if they are represented in different ways.

What is an example of combinatorial identity?

An example of combinatorial identity is the binomial theorem, which states that for any non-negative integer n, the sum of the combinations of n objects taken k at a time is equal to 2^n. This is represented as (n choose k) = 2^n.

Why is combinatorial identity important?

Combinatorial identity is important in mathematics because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and make connections between seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts. It also has applications in fields such as computer science and statistics.

What are some techniques for proving combinatorial identities?

There are several techniques for proving combinatorial identities, including algebraic manipulation, induction, and the use of generating functions. These techniques involve manipulating and simplifying the expressions on both sides of the identity to show that they are equal.

How is combinatorial identity related to combinatorics?

Combinatorial identity is closely related to combinatorics, which is the branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects. Combinatorial identities often involve counting the same set of objects in different ways, making it an important concept in combinatorics.