Proof of Equations using Combinatorics

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses using combinatorics to prove equations, specifically the example of proving the equation for choosing m+1 elements from n+1 objects. The key is to look at ways of choosing m+1 elements from n+1 objects and using the series to sum up the ways of choosing m objects from m+i objects. The hints suggest reading the sum backward and looking at the position of the first element when choosing. The conversation concludes by suggesting to choose 1 element first and then choose the other m elements.
Dragonfall
I have a bunch of equations that I must prove 'using combinatorics', which means double counting or some sort of bijective mapping. I haven't done this before, and I'd like to know, as an example, how the following can be proved 'combinatorially':

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}{n+1}\\{m+1}\end{array}\right)=\sum_{i=0}^{n-m}\left(\begin{array}{cc}{m+i}\\m\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice the left hand side counts the number of bitstrings of length n + 1 containing m + 1 ones.

look at ways of choosing m+1 elements from n+1 objects.

the series tells you that you sum up the ways of choosing m objects from m+i objects. but you want to choose m+1 objects; so what happens to the m+1th element?

hint1: read the sum backward
[tex]\sum_{i=n-m}^{0}\binom{m+i}{m}[/tex]
(i keeps decreasing, not increasing)
hint2: choose 1 element first, then choose the other m elements.

if that isn't enough,
hint3: look at the position of the first element when choosing...

Last edited:
Shouldn't it be multiplied instead of summed?

Related to Proof of Equations using Combinatorics

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects in a systematic way.

2. How does combinatorics relate to equations?

Combinatorics can be used to prove equations by counting the number of possible outcomes in a given situation.

3. Can combinatorics be used to prove any type of equation?

Yes, combinatorics can be applied to various types of equations, including those involving algebra, geometry, and probability.

4. What are some common techniques used in combinatorial proofs?

Some common techniques used in combinatorial proofs include using counting principles, such as the multiplication rule and combinations, as well as using bijections to show that two sets have the same size.

5. Are there any real-world applications of combinatorics in proving equations?

Yes, combinatorics has many real-world applications, such as in computer science, genetics, and network analysis, where it is used to solve problems and make predictions based on counting and arranging objects.