Combinatoric Problem: Path to [20,30]

• Thread starter David Waiter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combinations
In summary: So, in summary, the conversation is discussing the application of the principle of inclusion and exclusion to determine the number of ways to reach the point [20,30] in a square grid, starting from [0,0] and only moving up and to the right, while avoiding certain points such as [5,5], [15,10], and [17,23]. The resulting solution involves subtracting out all the paths that pass through these points more than once.
David Waiter
We have a square grid. In how many ways we get to the point [20,30], if we can not get points [5,5], [15,10] [15,10] [17,23]? The starting point is [0,0], we can only move up and to the right. Thanks

My solutions:
$$ \binom{50}{20} - \binom{10}{5}\binom{40}{15} - \binom{25}{10}\binom{25}{10} -\binom{25}{15}\binom{25}{5}-\binom{40}{17}\binom{10}{3}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to the homework forum.

You are subtracting some paths more than once, e. g. every path that passes both through [5,5] and [15,10]. One [15,10] should be [10,15] I guess?

Yes, I use the principle of inclusion and exclusion

So where do you consider the double-counting I mentioned?

David Waiter said:
We have a square grid. In how many ways we get to the point [20,30], if we can not get points [5,5], [15,10] [15,10] [17,23]? The starting point is [0,0], we can only move up and to the right. Thanks

My solutions:
$$ \binom{50}{20} - \binom{10}{5}\binom{40}{15} - \binom{25}{10}\binom{25}{10} -\binom{25}{15}\binom{25}{5}-\binom{40}{17}\binom{10}{3}$$

You have included [15,10] twice in your list of forbidden points. What did you really mean?

David Waiter said:
Yes, I use the principle of inclusion and exclusion
The principle of inclusion and exclusion leads to expressions with both plus and minus signs, usually alternating. This is because you subtract out all the cases ruled out by each single criterion, then add back all that you have subtracted twice over because they were ruled out by two criteria, then add back in all that you've added back in too often because they were ruled out by three criteria, and so on.

1. What is a combinatoric problem?

A combinatoric problem is a mathematical problem that involves counting or arranging objects in a specific way. It is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of counting, combinations, and permutations.

2. What is the "Path to [20,30]" combinatoric problem?

The "Path to [20,30]" combinatoric problem is a specific problem that involves finding the number of possible paths from one point to another on a grid. In this case, the grid has 20 rows and 30 columns, and the paths must go from the top left corner to the bottom right corner.

3. How do you approach solving a combinatoric problem?

There are a few different approaches to solving a combinatoric problem. One common method is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and then use formulas or techniques to solve each part. Another approach is to use a visual representation, such as a tree diagram, to help organize the problem and find a solution.

4. Are there real-world applications for combinatoric problems?

Yes, combinatoric problems have many real-world applications. For example, they can be used in computer science to analyze algorithms and in genetics to study the probability of certain genetic combinations. They are also used in economics, physics, and other fields where counting and arranging objects is important.

5. Are there any tips for solving combinatoric problems?

Some tips for solving combinatoric problems include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using visual representations, and looking for patterns or symmetry in the problem. It can also be helpful to start with simpler problems and work your way up to more complex ones. Additionally, having a good understanding of basic combinatoric concepts, such as combinations and permutations, can be useful in solving more complicated problems.