• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Combinatorics problem

Homework Statement

The Jones family has 5 boys and 3 girls, and 2 of the girls are twins. In how many ways can they be seated in a row of 8 chairs if the twins insist on sitting together, and their other sister refuses to sit next to either of her sisters?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I could use a "count the complement" technique. First, we would count the the number of ways to just have the two twins paired together. This would be ##2! \cdot 7!## ways. However, this over counts because it includes the pairs where the other sister is adjacent. Thus, we subtract from this ##3! \cdot 6!##, which is the number of arrangements where the other sister is adjacent to the other sisters. This gives 5760. However, this is not the right answer. What am I doing wrong?

Answers and Replies

QuantumQuest
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The Jones family has 5 boys and 3 girls, and 2 of the girls are twins. In how many ways can they be seated in a row of 8 chairs if the twins insist on sitting together, and their other sister refuses to sit next to either of her sisters?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I could use a "count the complement" technique. First, we would count the the number of ways to just have the two twins paired together. This would be 2!⋅7!2!⋅7!2! \cdot 7! ways. However, this over counts because it includes the pairs where the other sister is adjacent. Thus, we subtract from this 3!⋅6!3!⋅6!3! \cdot 6!, which is the number of arrangements where the other sister is adjacent to the other sisters. This gives 5760. However, this is not the right answer. What am I doing wrong?
You are right about the number of ways to just have the two twins paired together (##2!\times 7!##). But then, to account for the third sister not being adjacent, you have to think more carefully. As a hint, I recommend to treat the three sisters together. Now, how many ways are there to arrange this with the boys? How many about the three sisters together?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
we subtract from this 3!⋅6!,
Please explain your reasoning for that number. Remember, you have already combined the twins into one entity.