Proof of ((nchoose2) choose 2)=3(n choose 3) +3(n choose 4)

In summary, the conversation discusses two proofs, algebraic and combinatorial, for the formula ((nchoose2) choose 2)=3(n choose 3) +3(n choose 4). The algebraic proof breaks down the formula into 3((n+1 choose 4) and uses the additive property to show that it is equivalent to (n+1)(n)(n-1)(n-2)/8. The combinatorial proof considers pairs of pairs of elements in a set and shows that they can be divided into two groups: those with an element in common and those without. It then argues that for the latter group, there are 3 possible ways to choose the repeated element, resulting in 3
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Give two proofs (algebraic and combinatorial) of the following formula:
((nchoose2) choose 2)=3(n choose 3) +3(n choose 4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, I have part of the algebraic one but I get stuck, also I don't know how to approach the combinatorial proof... so any suggestions would be great...

Algebraic proof:

3(n choose3) +3(n choose 4) is equal to:
3((nchoose3) +(nchoose4)) and by the additive property that equals:
3((n+1 choose 4)

which is equivalent to:
(n+1)(n)(n-1)(n-2)/8

This is where I get stuck... i know that (n)(n-1)/2 equals n choose 2
but then that leaves me with:
(n choose 2)((n+1)(n-2)/4)

any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
(n+1)(n)(n-1)(n-2)/8 is correct for the right side. Since (n choose 2) is n(n-1)/2, the left side is (n(n-1)/2)*(n(n-1)/2-1)/2, isn't it? Just show they are equal. For the combinatorial proof the elements of ((n choose 2) choose 2) are pairs of pairs of elements in {1,2,...,n}. They fall into two groups, i) where the two pairs have an element in common and ii) where the two pairs have no elements in common.

How should I go about doing that cause this is what I tried and it didn't work...

For the two pairs without any elements in common:
(n choose 2) because you first need to pick a pair
((n-2) choose 2) because then you need to choose another pair that is different from the first two.

But multiplying that ends up being 6(nchoose4) when i need 3(nchoose4)

Also this is what I tried for the repeats:
(nchoose3) because I'm picking three elements, with no repeats
(3choose1) because there are 3 ways to choose which element chosen is repeated.
which when multiplied would equal 3(n choose 3) which is what I'm looking for, but would that be correct?

dancergirlie said:
How should I go about doing that cause this is what I tried and it didn't work...

For the two pairs without any elements in common:
(n choose 2) because you first need to pick a pair
((n-2) choose 2) because then you need to choose another pair that is different from the first two.

But multiplying that ends up being 6(nchoose4) when i need 3(nchoose4)

Also this is what I tried for the repeats:
(nchoose3) because I'm picking three elements, with no repeats
(3choose1) because there are 3 ways to choose which element chosen is repeated.
which when multiplied would equal 3(n choose 3) which is what I'm looking for, but would that be correct?

Your last argument is correct. Once you have picked 3 elements you can make them into two pairs three different ways (as you say by choosing the repeated element). If you have four elements, you just need to pick the first pair. The second pair is whatever is left over. You don't have any choice about it. And yes, there are 6 ways to do that. But now think about it. If the elements are {1,2,3,4} then if I pick the first pair to be {1,2} I get the same split as if I pick the first pair to be {3,4}. The factor of 6 is twice too many.

I'm not understanding what you mean by that...

It can't just be (n choose 2) because there could be more than four elements in the set.

Am I supposed to make it (n choose 2)* 1/2(n-2 choose 2)?
If so, what is my argument on that?

dancergirlie said:
I'm not understanding what you mean by that...

It can't just be (n choose 2) because there could be more than four elements in the set.

Am I supposed to make it (n choose 2)* 1/2(n-2 choose 2)?
If so, what is my argument on that?

Now I'm not understanding what you are thinking. If I pick a set of 3 elements, I can make 2 pairs three different ways (which have an element in common). If I pick a set of 4 elements, I can make 2 pairs three different ways (which don't have an element in common). That's a way to think about the right side of your equation. Isn't it?

yes I understand actual examples with numbers, but I don't know how to represent that using only n. I know that i would have to do (n choose 2) because I need to pick my first pair, but then I don't understand why the second part isn't (n-2 choose 2)

dancergirlie said:
yes I understand actual examples with numbers, but I don't know how to represent that using only n. I know that i would have to do (n choose 2) because I need to pick my first pair, but then I don't understand why the second part isn't (n-2 choose 2)

The (n choose 3) and (n choose 4) parts take care of selecting either 3 or 4 elements. Then you only need worry about the number of ways to make two pairs out of those 3 or 4 elements. You don't need to know n for the second part.

ahhhhh ok, that makes sense now. Alright, if i have four elements wouldn't I just multiply the (n choose 4) by (4 choose 2)? Because there are (4 choose 2) ways of picking 2 elements in the set without repeats but that doesn't equal three either... that is 12...

Oh wait, I'm sorry (4choose 2) is six, and if you pick one pair, that means you automatically pick the other to be a pair. I got it... thanks so much for your help!

What is the significance of "Proof of ((nchoose2) choose 2)=3(n choose 3) +3(n choose 4)" in mathematics?

This is a mathematical identity known as the "Vandermonde's identity" which is used to calculate binomial coefficients. It is a fundamental concept in combinatorics and has applications in various fields such as probability, statistics, and algebra.

How can this identity be proved?

The identity can be proved using various mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, induction, Pascal's triangle, and combinatorial arguments. It can also be derived from the general binomial theorem.

What are the applications of this identity?

The Vandermonde's identity has applications in various fields such as probability, statistics, and algebra. It is used to calculate binomial coefficients which are essential in calculating probabilities and in counting the number of combinations in a given set of objects. It is also used in algebraic equations involving binomial terms.

What is the intuition behind this identity?

The identity can be understood intuitively by visualizing the combinations of objects in a set. The left side of the identity represents the number of ways to choose 2 objects from a set of n objects and then choose 2 objects from those initial 2 objects. The right side represents the sum of choosing 3 objects from the original set of n objects and then choosing 3 objects from the remaining n-3 objects, and choosing 4 objects from the original set of n objects and then choosing 4 objects from the remaining n-4 objects. This can be interpreted as choosing 2 subsets of 2 objects each, from a larger set of n objects.

Are there any variations of this identity?

Yes, there are variations of this identity such as the "generalized Vandermonde's identity" which includes a binomial coefficient with a negative index, and the "multinomial theorem" which extends the concept to more than 2 subsets. There are also various other identities and formulas that are related to the Vandermonde's identity and have similar applications in mathematics.