Calculate Combined Weight of Truck & Ferry Boat

• Thread starter b0r33d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the combined weight of a truck and ferry boat when the boat sinks 4.00 cm in the water. The equation for buoyant force is mentioned, but the person asking for help is unsure of how to use it or where to start on the problem. The responder reminds them of the forum rules to show some effort and encourages them to share their thoughts or attempts on the problem.
b0r33d

Homework Statement

A ferry boat is 4.0 m wide and 6.0 m long. When a truck pulls onto it, the boat sinks 4.00 cm in the water. What is the combined weight of the truck and ferry?

Homework Equations

Buoyant force = Weight of the floating object

The Attempt at a Solution

How would I find the weight when I don't know the mass of either object? I don't know what equation I would use or how to get started on the problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF bor33d. This is a great place to get homework help but you have to understand that we have rules here. You have not shown ANY attempt on the problems you have posted in this forum. (I have seen your other threads.) The rules are that you must show some work before you get help here. I know you are not far enough along to do any calculations in these problems, and that is fine, but you still need to show some effort. For instance, in all of your problems you have posted formulas that do apply the the problem. Why did you decide to post them? How do they relate what your given and what you need to find?Sorry, but if I just told you what equations to use, you wouldn't get anything out of this thread or your others.

So show me some of your thoughts on this problem.

I would first gather all the necessary information to solve the problem. In this case, we know the dimensions of the ferry boat and the amount it sinks when the truck is loaded onto it. We also know that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the floating object.

To calculate the weight of the truck and ferry, we can use the formula: weight = mass x gravity, where gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2. We can also use the equation for buoyant force: buoyant force = density x volume x gravity.

To find the density of the water, we can use the given information that the boat sinks 4.00 cm in the water. This means that the boat displaces a volume of water equal to its own volume. Therefore, the density of the water can be calculated by dividing the weight of the boat by its volume.

Once we have the density of the water, we can use the buoyant force equation to find the weight of the truck and ferry combined. We can set the buoyant force equal to the weight of the truck and ferry and solve for the unknown mass.

In summary, to find the combined weight of the truck and ferry, we would use the buoyant force equation and the equations for weight and density to solve for the unknown mass. This approach allows us to use the given information and relevant equations to calculate the desired result.

1. How do you calculate the combined weight of a truck and ferry boat?

To calculate the combined weight of a truck and ferry boat, you will need to add the weight of the truck and the weight of the ferry boat together. This can be done by using a scale to weigh both the truck and the ferry boat separately, and then adding the two weights together.

2. Why is it important to calculate the combined weight of a truck and ferry boat?

It is important to calculate the combined weight of a truck and ferry boat because it ensures that the weight limit of the ferry boat is not exceeded. This is important for safety reasons, as exceeding the weight limit can lead to accidents and damage to the ferry boat.

3. What units of measurement should be used when calculating the combined weight of a truck and ferry boat?

The weight of the truck and ferry boat can be measured in any unit, as long as they are consistent. Common units of measurement for weight include pounds, kilograms, and tons.

4. Are there any restrictions on the combined weight of a truck and ferry boat?

Yes, there may be restrictions on the combined weight of a truck and ferry boat. These restrictions vary depending on the specific ferry boat and its weight limit. It is important to check with the ferry operator for any weight restrictions before boarding.

5. Can the combined weight of a truck and ferry boat change during the journey?

Yes, the combined weight of a truck and ferry boat can change during the journey. This can be due to factors such as shifting cargo or adding/removing passengers. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust the weight to ensure it stays within the weight limit of the ferry boat.