1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Combining Rotational Inertias

1. Apr 17, 2016 #1
    https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t34.0-12/13015003_664975026975127_933044449_n.png?oh=0259712996d9a6dde812f6d8886f56b9&oe=5715CA95
    So, it's straight forward enough to calculate the moment of inertia of basic planes with evenly distributed mass, but if I were to say glue the red and green plane together, how would I find the moment of inertia of the blue shape?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2016 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

About what axis?

You can find the moment of inertia of each piece about the axis of choice, then just add them. (You'll need the parallel axis theorem.)

4. Apr 17, 2016 #3
    probably should have specified, the z axis, or the axis perpendicular to the plane. the axis of choice is the blue COM, and I dont know how to find the moment of inertia of each shape except with central axes (I dont know much in the world of rotational inertia)

5. Apr 18, 2016 #4
    actually you know what, through more googling and researching stuffs, I've figured it out. I've been trying to find somewhere to explain this to me for a while now, but I didn't know exactly what to search for until your reply, so thanks for that :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted