Combustion Forum: Find Expert Advice for Your Project

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary: Thanks for the heads up!In summary, Casey Combustion is looking for advice on forums that would be appropriate for discussions on combustion theories.
Saladsamurai
Hey folks :smile:

I am not sure where to put this, but since GD gets so much traffic, I'll put it here for now. I am doing my MS in combustion. PF has always been there for me during my undergrad, but I am getting so deep into my subject that it is getting harder and harder for me to find someone to bounce my thoughts off of. Of course, my advisor and other combustion students at my school are great! But during the summer and during the middle of the night on a Friday night, it's not so easy to find someone for advice. :wink:

I am really going through the groundwork of combustion right now, and though a lot of things I can figure out on my own, there are just some things I cannot muscle out of my texts. Sometimes assumptions seem crazy to me or a certain approach appears to come out of left field and I want to actually converse about these issues.

Any suggestions as far as an internet forum that has people who are knowledgeable in the theoretical aspects of combustion? I think that engineering-tips has a combustion sub forum. But I always get the impression the eng-tips is more for the "practicing" engineer and not so much for the blossoming naive student. Is that a bad assumption?

Any thoughts are appreciated. :smile:

~Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Combustion? How wow is that? I used to play with matches when I was a kid!

But I digress. I work with a guy who did his master's on fire protection...not exactly what you're doing but he may know of some sources. I'll talk with him on Tuesday.

Thanks lisab!

I like to burn things, does that help?

I would think that the Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering forums would be appropriate for discussions on combustion. A couple of my thermodynamics books cover some basic theoretical aspects of combustion, mostly from an energy/thermodynamic/chemical aspect.

Astronuc said:
I would think that the Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering forums would be appropriate for discussions on combustion. A couple of my thermodynamics books cover some basic theoretical aspects of combustion, mostly from an energy/thermodynamic/chemical aspect.

Hey there 'nuc! I would too, but a couple of my thermo/combustion posts have gone unanswered in ME. I have not tried the Chemical engineering forum. I have read the combustion introduction in my thermodynamics texts as well but some of the stuff I have questions on is a little more in depth. I'll keep trying though.

1. What is combustion?

Combustion is a chemical reaction in which a fuel reacts with oxygen to produce heat and light. This process is commonly known as burning and is essential for many everyday activities, such as cooking and transportation.

2. Why is it important to seek expert advice for a combustion project?

Combustion is a complex process that involves various factors and can have significant impacts on the environment and safety. Seeking expert advice can ensure that your project is well-informed and follows proper protocols, leading to better results and minimizing potential risks.

3. What are some common fuels used in combustion?

Common fuels used in combustion include natural gas, gasoline, diesel, coal, wood, and propane. The type of fuel used depends on the application and availability.

4. How does combustion contribute to air pollution?

Combustion releases pollutants such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter into the air, contributing to air pollution. These pollutants can have harmful effects on human health and the environment.

5. Are there any alternative methods to traditional combustion?

Yes, there are alternative methods to traditional combustion, such as fuel cells and solar energy. These methods use different processes to generate energy and have lower or no emissions, making them more environmentally friendly.