What is the Combustion Formula for Lean C8H18 in Air?

• Thread starter nordmoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of CO2 and other products produced in the combustion of air and C8H18 in a lean fuel engine. The speaker is trying to estimate the CO2 molefraction for a simulation and determine the CO2 concentration in a measurement, but is having trouble with the complex reactions and determining fractions of other compounds in the exhaust. They are also considering using a program like STANJAN to determine exhaust gas composition.
nordmoon
I am doing a thesis work and I am trying to figure out the amount of C02 and the products in combustion of Air and C8H18. Its known that the engine is operating on lean fuel, but I am having trouble with the reaction formula. This is not my subject. The engine is operating at lambda 1.2 to 1.6. (Phi = 0.83 - 0.62).

Here is my try:

0.83 C8H18 + 12.5O2 + 94N2 <--> 6.64C02 + 7.47 H20 + 94 N2 + 2.12 O2 ?

0.62 C8H18 + 12.5O2 + 94N2 <--> 4.96C02 + 5.58 H20 + 94 N2 + 4.7 O2 ?

Is there something wrong here? Does this really happen as the fuel + air ignite?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unfortunately it's not that easy. There are many complex reactions taking place during the combustion process, and even with a lean burn engine, you'll still have a fair amount of various hydrocarbons in the exhaust. Depending on the conditions, you'll also produce a significant quantity of NO and NO2, and CO too.

Is this a degree thesis? What are you trying to achieve with this?

brewnog said:
Unfortunately it's not that easy. There are many complex reactions taking place during the combustion process, and even with a lean burn engine, you'll still have a fair amount of various hydrocarbons in the exhaust. Depending on the conditions, you'll also produce a significant quantity of NO and NO2, and CO too.

Is this a degree thesis? What are you trying to achieve with this?

Yes, its a little complicated to describe here. But in short I am trying to 'estimate' the C02 molefraction for an estimation of the width of the line profile in simulated spectra and a very approximate 'estimation' of the amount of C02 from total in a simulation for optical thickness of investigated bands. I know that this does not meet the reality and that you probably have unburned fuel and NOx, CO, internal ERG and so on. But I do not see how I can determine those fractions of NOx, C0 etc. The ultimate goal is to determine the C02 concentration in a measurement.

Why not assume that something like 99% of the carbon in the fuel ends up as CO2?

Why are you considering the fuel to be Octane?

Depending on what kind of accuracy is needed, a program like STANJAN (there may be newer/better programs; it's been a while since I did this sort of calc) could be used to determine exhaust gas composition.

1. What is the chemical equation for the combustion of lean C8H18?

The chemical equation for the combustion of lean C8H18 is 2C8H18 + 17O2 → 16CO2 + 18H2O.

2. What is the definition of lean combustion?

Lean combustion is a type of combustion in which the fuel-air mixture contains a higher proportion of air compared to the stoichiometric ratio. This results in incomplete combustion and a lower concentration of harmful emissions.

3. How does the combustion of lean C8H18 differ from rich C8H18?

The combustion of lean C8H18 involves a higher amount of air, resulting in incomplete combustion and a lower concentration of emissions. In contrast, rich C8H18 has a lower amount of air, resulting in complete combustion and a higher concentration of emissions.

4. What are the products of the combustion of lean C8H18?

The products of the combustion of lean C8H18 are carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O).

5. How does the combustion of lean C8H18 affect engine performance?

The combustion of lean C8H18 can improve engine performance by reducing the amount of harmful emissions produced. However, it can also lead to a decrease in power output due to incomplete combustion.