Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught photos?

In summary, the individual is curious about the lack of photos of Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught despite its relatively bright magnitude and favorable position for observation in the northern hemisphere. They plan to take their own photos tonight and see what they can capture.
alseth
Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught photos??

Hey guys,
I was wondering why there aren't any photos of this comet around. It's quite bright (7.2 mag) and its position is very favorable towards the observers on the northern hemisphere- near the pole, actually... Usually, there would be some galleries on the internet but i can't find any so it's bugging me and I do not know what to expect. Anyway, I will try to take some pictures of it tonight (weather-permitting) and then I will find out, hopefully...

Astronomy news on Phys.org

I'm not sure I would say 7.2 is all that bright. Through a reasonable size amateur telescope and camera, that probably means you can see the core, a little dust around it and no tail.

Related to Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught photos?

1. What is Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught?

Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught is a long-period comet that was discovered in July 2008 by astronomer Robert H. McNaught. It is also known by its official name, Comet McNaught 2008 O2.

2. Why are photos of Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught significant?

Photos of Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught are significant because they capture the comet's rare and beautiful appearance as it passes through our solar system. This specific comet has a long orbital period of over 100,000 years, making it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to observe and photograph.

3. Where can I view photos of Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught?

Photos of Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught can be found on various websites, including NASA's official website, amateur astronomy websites, and social media platforms such as Instagram and Twitter. Many professional and amateur astronomers also share their photos on their personal websites.

4. How were the photos of Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught taken?

The photos of Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught were taken using telescopes and cameras with long exposure times. Professional photographers and astronomers often use specialized equipment to capture clear and detailed images of the comet. Amateur photographers can also take photos with regular cameras, but may not achieve the same level of clarity and detail.

5. Can I take my own photos of Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught?

Yes, it is possible to take your own photos of Comet C/2008 O2 McNaught if you have the right equipment, knowledge, and access to a dark and clear sky. However, it is important to note that the comet is currently not visible to the naked eye and may require a telescope or binoculars to see. It is also recommended to research the comet's location and trajectory before attempting to take photos.