What is Common Core 32 -12 and how can I solve it?

• Thread starter jacobtwmurphy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Core
In summary, the conversation revolves around a specific math problem that the person is struggling to understand. They ask for an explanation and clarification, but no one is able to give them a satisfactory answer. The problem involves two equations, one using subtraction by addition and the other using lattice multiplication. The person expresses confusion and disbelief about the subtraction method and prefers the traditional method instead. They also mention that this problem is being taught in schools.
jacobtwmurphy
I am trying very desperately to figure out this specific problem I don't need examples of other problems i need this very very specific problem before i loose my freaking mind. Please someone explain this and show me how it works I am extremely desperate. I am told this is some sort of key, I do not know this is not my math problems or work sheet, just information I was unfortunate enough to stumble on a meme. Absolutely no one can give me a straight answer, I have even asked a math teacher and he had no idea what this was.

Attachments

• 1798627_527606177342422_628279470_n.jpg
    1798627_527606177342422_628279470_n.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 565
  • multiplication62.gif
    multiplication62.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 537
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first one is 32-12=20.
The second is 248*38=9386.
The methods used are subtraction by addition and lattice multiplication.
The lattice multiplication is sensible, while correct I do not see the reasoning behind the subtraction, that is not how I would do it.

the subtraction 'method' looks like hard work to me! Starting with 12, if you add, in succession, the numbers 3,5,10 and 2, you reach a total of 32. Hence the answer to 32-12 is equal to the sum of those numbers - 20. The choice of numbers to add seems somewhat arbitrary, save for the fact that the intermediate totals are round numbers - well, sort of. I'll stick with the traditional method!

Thank you guys, I am digging around looking for every spec of information on this, I can't believe this is being taught in schools now.

I understand the frustration of not being able to solve a problem and feeling desperate for a solution. However, it is important to approach problems with a calm and logical mindset in order to find a solution. In this case, the problem "Common Core 32 -12" is likely referring to a math concept called the Common Core State Standards, which is a set of educational standards for Mathematics and English Language Arts. The numbers 32 and 12 may represent specific standards within this framework.

To solve this problem, it would be helpful to first understand what the Common Core State Standards are and how they are organized. Then, you can look for resources or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor who is familiar with this concept. It is also important to note that the solution to this problem may not be a simple numerical answer, but rather an understanding of the concept itself.

In science, we often encounter complex problems that require patience, critical thinking, and collaboration to solve. I encourage you to approach this problem with a similar mindset and seek help from reliable sources. With determination and perseverance, I am confident that you will be able to find the answer you are looking for.

Related to What is Common Core 32 -12 and how can I solve it?

1. What is Common Core 32-12?

Common Core 32-12 is a set of academic standards in mathematics and English Language Arts (ELA) that have been adopted by many states in the United States. These standards outline what students should know and be able to do at each grade level in order to be college and career ready.

2. Why was Common Core 32-12 developed?

Common Core 32-12 was developed in response to concerns that the previous state standards were not preparing students for college and the workforce. The goal of Common Core 32-12 is to provide a clear and consistent set of standards that will better prepare students for success after graduation.

3. How is Common Core 32-12 different from previous standards?

Common Core 32-12 is different from previous standards in several ways. It focuses on higher-order thinking skills, emphasizes the use of evidence and critical thinking in all subject areas, and provides a more coherent and connected progression of learning from grade to grade.

4. What are the benefits of Common Core 32-12?

Common Core 32-12 has several potential benefits, including providing a more rigorous and consistent education for students, better preparing students for college and careers, and allowing for more accurate comparisons of student performance across states.

5. How are schools implementing Common Core 32-12?

Schools are implementing Common Core 32-12 by aligning their curriculum, instruction, and assessments with the standards. This may involve changes in teaching methods, instructional materials, and assessments. Professional development for teachers is also an important part of the implementation process.