How should I go about these books?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Rujaxso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to compare duplicated chapters in their Blitzer's algebra and precalculus textbooks. They have found Blitzer's to be their favorite textbook and plan on picking up a calculus book once they finish with these. They have also utilized Khan Academy and are actively seeking out resources to improve their math skills. The expert recommends comparing the table of contents and also looking at the prerequisite chapter in the precalculus book before moving on to calculus. They also commend the individual for finding a textbook and resources that work well for their learning style.
Rujaxso
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread but this is the level of math I am at so here goes.

I have two textbooks:
Blitzer's Introductory and Intermediate Algebra (4th)
and
Blitzer's Precalculus (5th)

A couple years ago I took an intro to algebra class at CC and hated the book they used.
I used Khan Academy and that site is very helpful but I like the detail and structure coming from a book.
Since then I have eyed a bunch of algebra books and Blitzer's has been my favorite. It has a TON of problem sets with all kinds of problems ranging from study the example to work this out before we show you types to application problems.
My plan is to pick up a calculus book after I finish up with these. Probably Stewarts or Thomas's to start with.
So far I am at page 231. (I have only had to ask one question here so far, whew!)

To me it looks like chapters 12,13,and 14 are duplicated.
12 to 3
13 to 7 and 9
14 to 10

Should I just compare table of contents word by word because at this point they don't have much meaning to me
or perhaps should I just take a look at the prerequisite chapter in the precal book
and then find those chapters in the algebra book ( since the actual prerequisite contents is more of a review than a first go through )?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello! It's great to see that you are actively seeking out resources to improve your math skills. I can definitely relate to the importance of understanding and mastering math concepts.

In regards to your question about the duplicated chapters in your textbooks, it's always a good idea to compare the table of contents to make sure you are not repeating material unnecessarily. However, I would also recommend taking a look at the prerequisite chapter in the precalculus book and then finding those corresponding chapters in the algebra book. This will give you a better understanding of the foundation you need before moving on to calculus. Additionally, it's always helpful to review and reinforce your understanding of previous concepts before moving on to more advanced material.

I also want to commend you for utilizing Khan Academy and finding a textbook that works well for you. Everyone learns differently and it's important to find resources that align with your learning style. Keep up the good work and best of luck with your math journey!

1. What is the best way to approach reading these books?

The best way to approach reading these books will depend on your personal learning style. Some people prefer to read the entire book from start to finish, while others prefer to skim and focus on specific chapters or sections that are most relevant to their interests. It may also be helpful to take notes or create outlines as you read to help with retention and organization.

2. How many books should I read at once?

It is generally recommended to read one book at a time, especially if they cover similar topics. This allows for better focus and comprehension. However, if you are comfortable juggling multiple books, you can try reading 2-3 at a time, as long as they are different enough to avoid confusion.

3. Should I read the books in a specific order?

The order in which you read the books will depend on the subject matter and your own preferences. Some books may be more advanced and require prior knowledge, while others may be more introductory. It is also important to consider any recommended reading orders by the author or other experts.

4. How much time should I spend reading each day?

The amount of time you spend reading each day will depend on your schedule and personal goals. Some people may only have 30 minutes to spare, while others may have several hours. The key is to find a balance that works for you and allows for consistent progress without overwhelming or burning yourself out.

5. What should I do if I don't understand a concept while reading?

If you come across a concept that you don't understand while reading, don't panic. It is common to encounter challenging ideas or terminology, especially in scientific literature. Take a moment to reread the passage and try to break down the concept into smaller, more manageable pieces. You can also do some additional research or consult with a colleague or mentor for clarification.