1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Community College Teaching?

1. Jul 29, 2010 #1

eumyang

Homework Helper

I have been thinking of teaching remedial math at a community college (I'm in the US). But I don't have even a master's degree in math. My education and work experience is kind of odd:
    - bachelor's in math and music
    - master of engineering science degree in computer science (this was an evening master's program, and I wouldn't equate this with a M.S. degree in computer science)
    - 10 years teaching math & music at a private school
    - have teaching certification in secondary school math

Since I don't have a master's degree in math, should I not even bother looking for teaching positions at the community college level? Has anyone heard of people teaching at a community college without having a master's in their subject matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2010 #2
    one of my teachers at the community college i went to had only a masters in english and he taught everything from religion to psychology. even a world history class if i'm not mistaken. so i think it's possible. there might be certain credit hour requirements for each subject though

4. Jul 29, 2010 #3
    You have to have a masters degree in something to teach at a community college, but it is extremely common for people to teach something outside their field. There is a huge shortage of people teaching at the community college level, and it's usually trivial to get an adjunct position. You just find the right person, ask for a job, and they'll give it to you.

Since a lot of remedial math involves teaching people in college things that they should have learned in high school, I personally think that your credentials are perfect.

The one thing that you do have to be aware of is that teaching at a community college is that the pay is low. Adjuncts do not get paid what I think of as a living wage, and it's more paid charity work than anything else. Permanent positions do get paid decent amounts, but those are much harder to come by.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook