Preparing for Physics 2 w/ Calc & Diff Eq at Community College

• Schools
  • Thread starter omagdon7
  • Start date
In summary, a community college should be adequate for someone taking Physics 2 with calc and Diff Eq. The teacher only has a Master's, and this is not a concern.
omagdon7
I will be taking Physics 2 w/ calc and Diff Eq over the summer at a community college. I am concerned that my education is going to be lacking as an engineer I need Diff Eq. I was going to supplement class with the MIT opencourseware lectures do you think this would be sufficient? Also the Diff Eq teacher only has a Master's is this a concern? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
omagdon7 said:
I will be taking Physics 2 w/ calc and Diff Eq over the summer at a community college. I am concerned that my education is going to be lacking as an engineer I need Diff Eq. I was going to supplement class with the MIT opencourseware lectures do you think this would be sufficient? Also the Diff Eq teacher only has a Master's is this a concern? Thanks in advance.

Most likely this won't be an issue. If the course is 3 credit hours, then you'll cover all the typical material - first-order linear (homogeneous and nonhomogeneous), numerical solutions (Euler's method and RK4), higher-order methods (Variation of Parameters and Undetermined Coefficients), along with either, Laplace transforms and series solutions. It's very rare that a class will be able to cover, both, Laplace transforms and series solutions, unless you are taking a 4 hour course. As long as you cover the material I've laid out here, you should be fine.

Edit: Throw in familiarity with the uniqueness and existence properites of solutions, along with estimation of solutions (upper bounds, etc). Don't forget about reduction of order, either - i.e reducing a second-order equation to a first order, regardless of linearity.

Last edited:
omagdon7 said:

I attend a community college also and I've had the same concerns in the past,but their are some really great teachers at community colleges! if you don't feel that you're getting all you need in the classroom then self educate! when you learn something on your own you really know it. i feel it also improves your confidence. BTW what school are you attending?

I'm a student at the University of Florida.

do you have an instant message service bcause i'd like to talke to you. could you send me a private message.

1. What background knowledge do I need for Physics 2 with Calculus and Differential Equations at a community college?

In order to succeed in Physics 2 with Calculus and Differential Equations, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus. It is also helpful to have prior knowledge of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and basic physics principles.

2. How can I best prepare for this course?

To prepare for Physics 2 with Calculus and Differential Equations, it is recommended to review and practice basic math and physics concepts. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the course syllabus and textbook before the class begins. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills will also aid in success in this course.

3. What resources are available to help me succeed in this course?

Community colleges often offer tutoring services and study groups for students taking Physics 2 with Calculus and Differential Equations. Your instructor may also have office hours where you can ask questions and get additional help. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare can also provide supplemental material and practice problems.

4. How much time should I dedicate to studying for this course?

The amount of time needed to study for this course can vary depending on individual learning styles and backgrounds. However, it is generally recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours outside of class per week reviewing material and completing practice problems. It is important to stay consistent with studying and not wait until the last minute to prepare for exams.

5. What can I do if I am struggling with the material?

If you are struggling with the material in Physics 2 with Calculus and Differential Equations, it is important to reach out for help as soon as possible. Talk to your instructor, utilize tutoring services, and form study groups with classmates. It is also helpful to review previous material and practice problems to strengthen your understanding of the subject.