Can Commutation between Subgroups be Achieved without Assuming Normality?

In summary: Yes, in principle this is possible. However, without more information about R and T, it is difficult to say more. In summary, it is possible to find a r'\in R, and t'\in T such that rt=t'r'.
mnb96
Hello,
let's suppose I have two subgroups [itex]R[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex], and I know that in general they do not commute: that is, [itex]rt\neq tr[/itex] for some [itex]r\in R[/itex], [itex]t\in T[/itex].

Is it possible, perhaps after making specific assumptions on R and T, to find some [itex]r'\in R[/itex], and [itex]t'\in T[/itex] such that: [tex]rt=t'r'[/tex].

This is possible, for example, with some matrix manipulations if R and T are respectively the groups of rotations and translations in 2D. I was wondering if it is possible to find a more general algebraic approach without making explicit how R and T are defined.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, mnb96. A few questions:

Do the subgroups have trivial intersection? Are they part of any specific supergroup?

How about looking at the group table (or, otherwise, how is the group given to you)?

Hi Bacle2,
thanks for your help. I consider R and T as being subgroups of the supergroup G=RT, and I do not assume that R and T have trivial intersection.

However I noticed that if I assume that at least one of the two subgroups is normal, then I could solve the problem. Let's suppose for example that T is a normal subgroup of G=RT, then we have:
[tex]rt=[r,t]tr[/tex] where [r,t] is the commutator. Thus, [tex]rt=(rtr^{-1})t^{-1}tr[/tex] and since T is normal we have: [tex]rt=t'r[/tex] where [itex]t'=rtr^{-1}\in T[/itex].

If you define T as the group of 2D translations and R as the group of 2D rotations, and observe that T is a normal subgroup of G=RT, the above construction actually yields a well-known result...

I just wonder if it is possible to drop the assumption of normality and still come up with some more general result.

What is commutation between subgroups and why is it important?

Commutation between subgroups refers to the relationship between two subgroups of a larger group. It is important because it helps us understand the structure and dynamics of groups, and can be used to prove theorems and solve problems related to group theory.

How is commutation between subgroups calculated?

Commutation between subgroups is calculated by taking the elements of one subgroup and multiplying them with the elements of the other subgroup in a specific order. The resulting elements are then checked to see if they belong to both subgroups, and if so, they are considered to be in the commutator subgroup.

What is the significance of the commutator subgroup?

The commutator subgroup is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between the two subgroups and their elements. It also provides insight into the structure of the larger group and can be used to classify groups into different categories.

Can commutation between subgroups be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, commutation between subgroups can be used to solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. It can help in analyzing the symmetries and patterns in complex systems, and can also be used in cryptography and coding theory.

What are some applications of commutation between subgroups in mathematics?

Commutation between subgroups has many applications in mathematics, including in the study of symmetry, number theory, and geometry. It is also used in the classification of finite simple groups, which has important implications in other branches of mathematics such as algebraic geometry and topology.