Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutation of metric tensor

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I am still having a hard time with tensors...
    The answer is probably obvious, but is it always the case (for an arbitrary metric tensor [tex]g_{\mu \nu}[/tex] that [tex]g_{ab}g_{cd}=g_{cd}g_{ab}[/tex] ?

I was trying to find a formal proof for that, and was wondering if we could use the relations:
    (1) [tex]g_{ab}=\frac{\partial x^{c}}{\partial x^{a}} \frac{\partial x^{d}}{\partial x^{b}} g_{cd}[/tex]
    (2) [tex]g_{cd}=\frac{\partial x^{a}}{\partial x^{c}} \frac{\partial x^{b}}{\partial x^{d}} g_{ab}[/tex]

And then multiply the left-hand side of (1) and (2) together and use the fact that the fractions of partial derivatives commute with the metric tensor and cancel each other to get:
    [tex]g_{ab}g_{cd}
    =(\frac{\partial x^{c}}{\partial x^{a}} \frac{\partial x^{d}}{\partial x^{b}} g_{cd}) (\frac{\partial x^{a}}{\partial x^{c}} \frac{\partial x^{b}}{\partial x^{d}} g_{ab})
    = \frac{\partial x^{c}}{\partial x^{a}}\frac{\partial x^{a}}{\partial x^{c}} \frac{\partial x^{d}}{\partial x^{b}} \frac{\partial x^{b}}{\partial x^{d}} g_{cd} g_{ab}
    = g_{cd}g_{ab}[/tex]

Does that make sense ?!

Thanks for your help...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

in

[tex]
    g_{ab}g_{cd}=g_{cd}g_{ab}
    [/tex]

[itex]g_{ab} [/itex] is just a number, and so is [itex]g_{cd}[/itex], and numbers commute.

for instance, [itex]g_{02} = 0[/itex], [itex]g_{00} = 1 [/itex] (or [itex]g_{00} = -1 [/itex]) depending on which your original definition of metric is)

4. Feb 13, 2009 #3
    Argh! Thanks a lot, again I mixed up "tensors" with "tensor components"...
    So the commutation relation I wrote holds for the tensor components of any tensor (not only the metric), doesn't it ?

On the other hand, the tensor (objects) do not necessarily commute with each other, right ?

5. Feb 13, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no the tensor objects can be non-commuting things like matricies, e.g.

[tex]\sigma ^{\mu \nu} = \frac{i}{2}[\gamma ^\mu, \gamma^\nu][/tex]
    where the gamma's are dirac 4x4 matricies

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook