Commutation Problem: Eigenvectors, Basis & Hamiltonian

• Thread starter Diracobama2181
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutation
In summary: This can be done using linearity.In summary, the problem considers a finite set of operators, H and Bi, and their commutation properties. It is shown that if all eigenvectors of H are also eigenvectors of Bi, then Bi and Bj must share the same basis and therefore commute. However, this rule does not apply to angular momentum operators, Li and Lj, which can still commute with H but not with each other, leading to degenerate energy states. More mathematical analysis is needed to fully understand these concepts.
Diracobama2181
Homework Statement
Consider a finite set of operators $B_i$
Let H be a Hamiltonian which commutes with each Bi;
i.e., [H, Bi] = 0 for all i. Suppose the |a_n> 's form a complete set of eigenstates of H satisfying
H|a_n>= a_n|a_n>.
(a) Let us choose one particular value of i and one particular value of n. Under what
circumstances can it be deduced that Bi|a_n> is proportional to |a_n>?
(b) Show that if the above is true for all i and for all n, then [B_i, B_j] = 0 for all i, j.
(c) How can you reconcile the rule stated in part (b) with the fact that for angular momentum
operators L_i, we can have a situation where [Li, H] = 0 but [Li, Lj] \= 0 when i \= j.
Relevant Equations
H|a_n>=a_n|a_n>
a) This would be true whenever |a_n> is an eigenvector of B_i.
b) If this holds true for each eigenvector, then B_i and B_j must share the same basis. Therefore, they must commute. Is this reasoning correct?
C) Despite commuting with the hamiltonian. the energy states can be degenerate, which I believe would imply that Li and Lj does not commute. Not sure how to mathematically formalize this though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Diracobama2181 said:
The point of this part of the question is to figure out what has to be true so you can conclude that ##\lvert a_n \rangle## is an eigenvector of ##B_i##.

Likes Diracobama2181
Diracobama2181 said:
Homework Statement:: Consider a finite set of operators $B_i$
Let H be a Hamiltonian which commutes with each Bi;
i.e., [H, Bi] = 0 for all i. Suppose the |a_n> 's form a complete set of eigenstates of H satisfying
H|a_n>= a_n|a_n>.
(a) Let us choose one particular value of i and one particular value of n. Under what
circumstances can it be deduced that Bi|a_n> is proportional to |a_n>?
(b) Show that if the above is true for all i and for all n, then [B_i, B_j] = 0 for all i, j.
(c) How can you reconcile the rule stated in part (b) with the fact that for angular momentum
operators L_i, we can have a situation where [Li, H] = 0 but [Li, Lj] \= 0 when i \= j.
Homework Equations:: H|a_n>=a_n|a_n>

b) If this holds true for each eigenvector, then B_i and B_j must share the same basis. Therefore, they must commute. Is this reasoning correct?
C) Despite commuting with the hamiltonian. the energy states can be degenerate, which I believe would imply that Li and Lj does not commute. Not sure how to mathematically formalize this though.

You need to do more maths for these answers. For example, for part b) you need to show that for any state (vector) ##\psi## we have ##B_iB_j (\psi) = B_jB_i(\psi)##.

What is the commutation problem in quantum mechanics?

The commutation problem refers to the question of how to find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of a quantum mechanical system given its Hamiltonian. In other words, it is the problem of determining the basis of states in which the Hamiltonian is diagonal. This is important because it allows us to study the time evolution of a quantum system.

What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a vector that, when multiplied by a given matrix, produces a scalar multiple of itself. In the context of quantum mechanics, eigenvectors represent the different states that a quantum system can be in. These states have associated eigenvalues, which represent the energy of the system in that state.

What is a basis in quantum mechanics?

A basis in quantum mechanics is a set of vectors that can be used to represent any state of a quantum system. These vectors are typically chosen to be orthogonal, meaning that they are at right angles to each other. By expressing states in terms of a basis, we can easily perform calculations and make predictions about the behavior of a quantum system.

What is the significance of finding the basis of eigenvectors in quantum mechanics?

Finding the basis of eigenvectors allows us to express the Hamiltonian of a quantum system in a diagonal form. This is important because it simplifies the equations of motion and makes it easier to study the time evolution of the system. Additionally, the eigenvalues associated with the eigenvectors represent the energy levels of the system, providing valuable information about its behavior.

How is the commutation problem solved?

The commutation problem can be solved using techniques such as diagonalization and the use of commutation relations. Diagonalization involves finding a change of basis that transforms the Hamiltonian into a diagonal matrix. Commutation relations involve using the fact that certain operators commute with each other to simplify the equations. Both of these techniques allow us to find the basis of eigenvectors and solve the commutation problem in quantum mechanics.