Maths: Proving ABC=CBA Implies [A,B]=[A,C]=[B,C]=0

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, if A,B,C are non-null hermitian operators and (A+B+C) is hermitian, then A,B,C are hermitian.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is it true that [tex]ABC = CBA[/tex] implies [A,B]=[A,C]=[B,C]=0 ??

The converse is of course true, and I cannot find a counter-exemple (ex: no 2 of the above commutation relation above are sufficient), but how is this proven?? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
A trivial example is B=0. This can't imply [A,C]=0. Obviously.

Ok, I forgot to add the hypothesis that A,B,C are not null operators.

Ok, A=C=[[0,1],[0,0]], B=[[0,0],[1,0]]. ABC=CBA is obvious but [A,B]!=0.

Actually no need for explicit matrices. Just take any A and B that don't commute and set C=A.

Sorry for wasting your time Dick but twice you've demonstrated that I am trying to show something stronger than what I really need for this physics problem.

I need to find an iff condition on A, B, C three non equal and non null hermitian operators (they're Sx,Sy and Sz, the spin operators) that makes their product ABC hermitian.

I came up with (ABC)+=C+B+A+=CBA. And now I want to find the iff condition on A,B,C that will make this equal to ABC.

(+ denotes hermitian conjugation)

Yeah, 'false' is sort of by definition 'too strong'.

Well, Sx.Sy.Sz is non-hermitian, isn't it? Are A,B,C supposed to be linear combinations of the S's? Ok, so to sum up for the product AB to be hermitian we need that A and B commute. For ABC to be hermitian we need ABC=CBA. I guess I'm fuzzing out on what the actual problem is here... Can you be more specific?

Yes, Sx.Sy.Sz is non-hermitian. Precisely, I need to find for which integers l,m,n is the operator [tex]S_x^lS_y^mS_z^n[/tex] an observable. I should have said that in the first place, huh. :p

My hypothesis is that it is hermitian when at most 1 of the exponent is odd.

You are clearly right. Since (S_i)^2=1 for i=x,y,z. There are relatively few cases to consider.

1. How is the statement "ABC=CBA" related to proving [A,B]=[A,C]=[B,C]=0 in maths?

The statement "ABC=CBA" is known as the commutative property in mathematics, which states that the order of multiplication does not affect the result. This property is essential in proving that [A,B]=[A,C]=[B,C]=0, as it allows us to rearrange the terms in the expression without changing the result.

2. What does the notation [A,B] represent in the statement "ABC=CBA Implies [A,B]=[A,C]=[B,C]=0"?

The notation [A,B] represents the commutator of two mathematical objects A and B. In this case, it represents the commutator of two matrices, which is defined as the difference between the product of the two matrices in different orders.

3. How does proving [A,B]=[A,C]=[B,C]=0 relate to linear algebra?

In linear algebra, the commutator [A,B] is closely related to the concept of linear independence. Proving that [A,B]=[A,C]=[B,C]=0 means that the commutators of the matrices A, B, and C are all equal to zero, indicating that they are linearly dependent. This has important implications in the study of vector spaces and linear transformations.

4. Can you provide an example of using the commutative property to prove [A,B]=[A,C]=[B,C]=0?

Sure, let's consider the matrices A, B, and C such that A = [1 2; 3 4], B = [5 6; 7 8], and C = [9 10; 11 12]. We can show that ABC = CBA by multiplying the matrices in both orders: ABC = [9 10; 11 12] and CBA = [9 10; 11 12]. Since the products are equal, the commutative property holds, and we can conclude that [A,B]=[A,C]=[B,C]=0.

5. How is the statement "ABC=CBA" used in real-world applications?

The commutative property has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it is used in the study of rotations and reflections in 3D space, electrical circuits, and data encryption algorithms. It also plays a crucial role in simplifying mathematical equations and proofs.