Commutator, where have I gone wrong?

• Thread starter raisin_raisin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between Pauli Matrices 0 and 1 in Hilbert Spaces and goes on to show the incorrectness of an equation involving these matrices. The mistake is corrected by changing a plus sign to a minus sign.
raisin_raisin
This is for the Pauli Matrics 0 and 1 are different Hilbert Spaces
[tex]\left[(I-Z)_{0}\otimes(I-Z)_{1} , Y_{0}\otimes Z_{1}\right][/tex]
[tex]=\left((I-Z)_{0}\otimes(I-Z)_{1}\right)\left(Y_{0}\otimes Z_{1}\right)-\left(Y_{0}\otimes Z_{1}\right)\left((I-Z)_{0}\otimes(I-Z)_{1}\right) [/tex]
[tex]=\left((I-Z)_{0}Y_{0}\otimes(I-Z)_{1} Z_{1} - Y_{0}(I-Z)_{0} \otimes Z_{1}(I-Z)_{1} [/tex]
[tex]= (Y_{0} -Z_{0}Y_{0}) \otimes (Z-I)_{1} - ((Y_{0} + Y_{0}Z_{0})\otimes (Z-I)_{1} [/tex]
[tex]= (Y_{0} -Z_{0}Y_{0}) \otimes (Z-I)_{1} - ((Y_{0} - Z_{0}Y_{0})\otimes (Z-I)_{1}
=0
[/tex]

I think this is wrong because I have done it long hand (i.e multiplying the matrices) and also I really, really don't want zero for an answer :).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Fourth line, second term, I think the plus should be turned to minus..

dioib said:
Fourth line, second term, I think the plus should be turned to minus..
Thanks for your reply, sorry I still can't see it though, could you explain why?
Thanks again.

raisin_raisin said:
Thanks for your reply, sorry I still can't see it though, could you explain why?
Thanks again.

You really don't see why

[tex]-Y_0(I-Z)_0\neq-(Y_0+Y_0Z_0)[/tex]

?

gabbagabbahey said:
You really don't see why

[tex]-Y_0(I-Z)_0\neq-(Y_0+Y_0Z_0)[/tex]

?

:blushing: Oops, thanks!

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mechanical or electrical device used to reverse the direction of current or rotation in a circuit or machine. It consists of a set of contacts that make and break circuit connections in a specific sequence.

2. How does a commutator work?

A commutator works by using a rotating arm with contacts that are connected to different segments of a circuit. As the arm rotates, the contacts make and break connections with fixed contacts, allowing current to flow in a specific direction.

3. What is the purpose of a commutator?

The purpose of a commutator is to change the direction of current or rotation in a circuit or machine. This is important in devices such as motors, generators, and DC power supplies.

4. What are the common problems with a commutator?

The most common problems with a commutator are wear and tear on the contacts, which can lead to poor connections and decreased efficiency. Other issues include dirt and debris buildup, and misalignment of the contacts.

5. How can I troubleshoot a faulty commutator?

If you suspect that your commutator is not functioning properly, you can try cleaning the contacts and ensuring they are properly aligned. If this does not solve the issue, you may need to replace the commutator or seek professional help from a technician.