Commuting matrices have common eigenvalues

In summary, to prove that commuting matrices have common eigenvalues, we use the definition of commuting matrices and the fact that for an eigenvalue of one matrix, there exists a nonzero vector which satisfies the eigenvalue equation. By setting up equations and manipulating them, we can show that the eigenvalue is common to both matrices.
Grand

Homework Statement

How do we prove that commuting matrices have common eigenvalues?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Grand said:

Homework Statement

How do we prove that commuting matrices have common eigenvalues?
Start by writing some mathematics, using the definition of commuting matrices and what it means for [itex]\lambda[/itex] to be an eigenvalue of a matrix.

OK, I've benn trying this for some time now, but:

common eigenvalues means that:
[tex]det(A-\lambda I)=det(B-\lambda I)=0[/tex]

and we have to prove that AB=BA

You have it backwards. You are given that A and B commute, and need to show that any eigenvalue of A is also an eigenvalue of B.

OK, I agree. But where do I start. I tried to add expressions to both sides of AB=BA:

[tex]AB=BA/\lambda[/tex]
[tex]\lambda AB=\lambda BA/-B[/tex]
[tex](\lambda A-A)B=\lambda BA-B[/tex]

but I'm not really going anywhere

Grand said:
OK, I agree. But where do I start. I tried to add expressions to both sides of AB=BA:

[tex]AB=BA/\lambda[/tex]
[tex]\lambda AB=\lambda BA/-B[/tex]
What do the equations above mean?
Grand said:
[tex](\lambda A-A)B=\lambda BA-B[/tex]

but I'm not really going anywhere
If [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue for a matrix A, then for some nonzero vector x,
Ax = [itex]\lambda[/itex]x.

So how do we use this?

1. What are commuting matrices?

Commuting matrices are square matrices that can be multiplied in any order without changing the result. In other words, the order of the matrices does not affect the final product.

2. What does it mean for commuting matrices to have common eigenvalues?

If two matrices commute and also share at least one eigenvalue, it means that they have at least one common eigenvector. This eigenvector can be used to simultaneously diagonalize both matrices.

3. Why is it important for commuting matrices to have common eigenvalues?

When commuting matrices have common eigenvalues, it allows for easier and more efficient computation. It also simplifies the process of finding eigenvectors and diagonalizing the matrices.

4. Can non-square matrices have common eigenvalues?

No, non-square matrices cannot have common eigenvalues. Only square matrices have eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. How can I determine if two matrices commute?

To determine if two matrices commute, you can simply multiply them in both orders and see if the result is the same. If the result is the same, then the matrices commute. Another way is to check if they share at least one common eigenvector.