Compact embedding and dense embedding

• Thread starter Tatianaoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compact
In summary, compact embedding and dense embedding mean different things, and the relationships between them depend on the context.
Tatianaoo
Is there any relation between compact embedding and dense embedding? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you first start by defining what compact embedding and dense embedding means. I have some natural guesses, but I would like to know for sure what you mean.

Second, what kind of relationships do you want to consider? As it stands, your question is a bit vague. Obviously, you will find an entire host of relationships, but can you make it a bit more specific?

True. By compact embedding I mean the following: let [itex](X,||\cdot||),~(Y,||\cdot||)[/itex] be Banacch spaces and [itex]X\subseteq Y[/itex]. We say that [itex]X[/itex] is compactly embedded in [itex]Y[/itex] if the identity operator [itex]i:X\rightarrow Y[/itex] is compact.

Actually by dense embedding I mean usual density of one space in another (a subset [itex]A[/itex] of a topological space [itex]X[/itex] is called dense (in [itex]X[/itex]) if every point [itex]x\in X[/itex] either belongs to [itex]A[/itex] or is a limit point of [itex]A[/itex]).

My question is: if I know that [itex]A[/itex] is compactly embedded in [itex]X[/itex], what can I say about density of [itex]A[/itex] in [itex]X[/itex]?

Thanks for help!

Unqualified, you can't say one way or another.

Consider the case in which [itex]X[/itex] is a finite-dimensional linear subspace of [itex](Y,||\cdot||_Y)[/itex] (and endow [itex]X[/itex] with any norm [itex]||\cdot||_X[/itex]). Then [itex]X[/itex] is certainly compactly embedded; indeed the inclusion is finite-rank. But [itex]X[/itex] is also guaranteed to be [itex]||\cdot||_Y[/itex]-closed.

Summing up:
- If [itex]X=Y[/itex] is finite-dimensional, then [itex]X[/itex] is compactly embedded in [itex]Y[/itex] and dense in [itex]Y[/itex].
- If [itex]X[/itex] is finite-dimensional and [itex]X\subsetneq Y[/itex], then [itex]X[/itex] is compactly embedded in [itex]Y[/itex] and not dense in [itex]Y[/itex].

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for clarifying this! Maybe there is some extra condition (except being compactly embedded) that subspace needs to satisfy in order to be dense? Or somebody could suggest nice book about this subject?

1. What is compact embedding?

Compact embedding is a type of embedding in mathematics that maps a topological space into a compact space.

2. What is a dense embedding?

A dense embedding is a type of embedding in mathematics that maps a topological space into a dense subset of another space. This means that the image of the embedding is "close" to the entire space it is embedded into.

3. How are compact and dense embeddings related?

Compact and dense embeddings are related in that they both involve mapping one space into another. However, compact embeddings map into a compact space while dense embeddings map into a dense subset of another space.

4. What properties do compact embeddings have?

Compact embeddings have the property of preserving compactness, meaning that if the original space is compact, the image of the embedding will also be compact.

5. How are compact embeddings useful in mathematics?

Compact embeddings are useful in mathematics because they allow us to study topological spaces by mapping them into more manageable spaces, such as compact spaces. They also have applications in fields like functional analysis, where compactness is an important property.