Proving Compact Sets Must Be Closed

In summary, a compact set is defined as a set that can be covered by a finite number of open sets. This definition holds for any topological space and is equivalent to the Heine-Borel theorem in R^n. To prove that a compact set is closed, one can show that the complement of the set is open by finding an open neighborhood for each point in the complement that does not intersect the original set. This can be done using the concept of covers and subcovers.
glebovg
Homework Statement

Show that every compact set must be closed.

I am looking for a simple proof.

This is supposed to be Intro Analysis proof.

Relevant equations

Any compact set must be bounded.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose A is not closed, so let a be an accumulation point of A such that a is in A etc. (I think I can finish this proof, but I do not like it.)

Does anyone know of a simpler proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand: if you are working in R^n (which I imagin you may be doing, since you mention an analysis book), then Heine-Borel is the resul. If not, the result is true only if you have a compact subset of a Hausdorff space, where you show that the complement in the space of the compact set is open, by finding a 'hood (neighborhood) of a point x in the complement that is disjoint from the compact space, by using Hausdorffness (so you can choose disjoint pairs of open sets containing x, disjoint from finitely-many open subsets of the cover. This is the main idea ). So this last one should take care of the case of R^n, or for any Hausdorff space.

Yes, what is the context you are working in?? Are you working in [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]?? In a metric space? A topological space? A Hausdorff space??

And how did you define compact??

The section in the book is called Topology of the Real Number System. We have not covered metric spaces, topological spaces, Hausdorff space, etc.

A set A subset R is compact if every open cover C of A contains a finite subcover F of A.

And by the way can anyone explain what does a cover, a subcover, etc. really represent? I understand the definitions but what is really meant by something like C covers A?

C covers A if the union of the open sets contains A; a subcover of C is a subcollection of the subsets of C, so you want a finite subcollection that contains C.

An example, maybe somewhat-trivial, is that of a convergent sequence {xn} in R, with limit x; take a collection of open intervals (an,bn)--take it, please! (sorry, prepping for my 2nd job)-- with an:= xn-0.1, (any small number will do ), and bn:=xn+0.1, and a 'hood (neighborhood) (x-0.1,x+0.1) of the limit point x . Then the union of the intervals (a,n,bn) and (x-0.1,x+0.1)covers {xn}, together with a 'hood , trivially, since each member of {xn} is in the n-th interval. Now, you can find a subcover ( you, and you alone!), by using (x-0.1,x+0.1) , which , by convergence of {xn}, will contain all-but-finitely many of the elements of the sequence, so that you can use finitely-many intervals (an,bn) to cover all the remaining elements.

It may be good too, for contrast, to consider a cover of the integers in the real line, by
open intervals (n-1/4,n+1/4), and see if you can find a finite subcollection of these open sets that covers the integers. For a more advanced problem, show that a half-open interval [a,b) in the real line is not compact. I'm pretty sure you will eventually see Heine-Borel theorem which tells you that, for Rn, the compact sets are always those that are close and bounded.

If you are working in a general vector space or general metric space, use the fact that a set is closed if its complement is open. To show that the complement of a set is open, show that any point NOT in the set (and so in the original compact set) has an open neighborhood that does not intersect the intended closed set.

Related to Proving Compact Sets Must Be Closed

1. What is a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a metric space that is both closed and bounded. This means that every sequence in the set has a limit point within the set and that the set has a finite diameter.

2. Why must compact sets be closed?

Compact sets must be closed because if a set is not closed, it is possible to construct a sequence within the set that does not have a limit point within the set, thus violating the definition of compactness.

3. How is compactness related to the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem?

The Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem states that every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence. This is closely related to compact sets because a compact set is both closed and bounded, and therefore any sequence within the set must have a convergent subsequence.

4. Can a set be compact but not closed?

No, a set cannot be compact but not closed. This is because a set must be closed in order to satisfy the definition of compactness, as mentioned in the answer to the second question.

5. How is compactness useful in analysis and topology?

Compactness is a fundamental concept in analysis and topology and is used in many theorems and proofs. It allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of sequences and functions within a set, and is essential in proving important theorems such as the Heine-Borel theorem and the extreme value theorem.