Comparing two hypotheses with uncertainties

In summary: Now here's my point: you're computing this based on the uncertainty on one of the values. But this completely ignores the uncertainty on the other value. Isn't there a way to include both in a comparison?The net is still .316.
jlicht
Hi there,

I'm trying to compare two hypotheses, each with a mean and an error (in this case Gaussian as well), to tell the probability of one being correct given the other.
Currently, the only thing I know how to do is calculate the Gaussian probability of the second hypothesis being correct according to the error of the first by integration. However, this doesn't take the error of the second distribution into account.

What would be the correct way of determining whether one (let's say Gaussian) hypothesis is correct given another, taking into account both uncertainties?

Cheers,
Johannes

EDIT:
As an application example, let us say I measured the gravitational acceleration to be 15.0 ± 0.3, while the known value was 9.8 ± 0.1. What would the significance of my newly measured result be, given the uncertainty on both numbers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As an application example, let us say I measured the gravitational acceleration to be 15.0 ± 0.3, while the known value was 9.8 ± 0.1. What would the significance of my newly measured result be, given the uncertainty on both numbers?

If I was doing this measurement, I would check my instruments.

mathman said:
If I was doing this measurement, I would check my instruments.

That is obviously not the point; replace g by something weird and unknown called x in the above, then.

If you have a quantity with known value ~ 9.8 and you measured it as ~ 15.0, it seems that either the known value was incorrect or the measurement was faulty. They are too far apart (> ~ 15σ) to be purely by chance.

mathman said:
If you have a quantity with known value ~ 9.8 and you measured it as ~ 15.0, it seems that either the known value was incorrect or the measurement was faulty. They are too far apart (> ~ 15σ) to be purely by chance.

Now here's my point: you're computing this based on the uncertainty on one of the values. But this completely ignores the uncertainty on the other value. Isn't there a way to include both in a comparison?

It is the square root of the sum of the squares, assuming the uncertainties are independent. The net = .316, so qualitatively there is no change.

Related to Comparing two hypotheses with uncertainties

1. How do you determine which hypothesis is more likely to be true?

To compare two hypotheses with uncertainties, scientists use statistical methods to calculate the probability of each hypothesis being true. This involves analyzing data and calculating the likelihood of obtaining the observed results under each hypothesis. The hypothesis with the higher probability is considered to be more likely to be true.

2. What are some common statistical tests used to compare two hypotheses?

Some common statistical tests used to compare two hypotheses include t-tests, ANOVA, and chi-square tests. These tests can help determine if there is a significant difference between the two hypotheses and if one is more supported by the data.

3. How can you account for uncertainties when comparing hypotheses?

When comparing hypotheses with uncertainties, scientists often use confidence intervals to account for the range of possible values for a given parameter. This allows for a more comprehensive evaluation of the hypotheses and takes into account any variations or uncertainties in the data.

4. Can you compare more than two hypotheses at once?

Yes, it is possible to compare more than two hypotheses at once. This is often done using techniques such as multiple comparisons or post-hoc tests, which allow for a simultaneous comparison of multiple hypotheses and can help identify the most likely one.

5. How do you handle conflicting evidence when comparing two hypotheses?

When comparing two hypotheses, it is possible that the evidence may conflict or be inconclusive. In these cases, scientists may need to gather more data or conduct further analyses to gain a better understanding of the hypotheses and determine which one is more supported by the evidence.