Comparison(Phased arrays) your point of view required

In summary, the conversation is about comparisons between dipole constituted phased arrays and loop antenna and folded dipole antenna constituted phased arrays. The speaker is curious about why half wave dipole antenna arrays are more commonly used and asks for details or a document on performance comparison. Another speaker responds by mentioning that phased folded dipole arrays are also used in certain arrangements at VHF and UHF wavelengths. They suggest going to a technical library for more information and welcome further questions.
Rf engineer
Hi friends

I need some very accurate and practical comparisons of

Dipole constituted phased arrays

OVER

Loop antenna ,Folded Dipole Antenna constituted phased arrays.

we normally use half wave dipole antenna arrays...why don't other not much in practice??

Plz reply details or upload a document purely on performance comparison.

Best regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rf engineer said:
we normally use half wave dipole antenna arrays...why don't other not much in practice??
Welcome to the Physics forums! You raise some interesting questions. Actually, in practise, we do see phased folded dipole arrays. They are typically used in collinear or planar spiral arrangement at VHF and UHF wavelengths.

Sorry I cannot help you with performance comparisons. If I needed to know this, my strategy would be to go to my nearest technical library and start pulling books in the EE section on antenna arrays. Last time I was at the library there were quite a few on that topic.

Feel free to ask more questions, there are people here covering a broad area of expertise.

Last edited:

In my opinion, the choice between dipole constituted phased arrays and loop or folded dipole antenna constituted phased arrays depends on the specific application and requirements. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and it is important to carefully consider these factors before deciding which type of phased array to use.

Dipole arrays have been traditionally used because of their simplicity and ease of construction. They also have a relatively broad bandwidth and good radiation efficiency. However, they have a limited directivity and are more sensitive to external interference.

On the other hand, loop and folded dipole arrays have a higher directivity and can provide better performance in terms of signal strength and interference rejection. They are also more compact, making them suitable for applications where space is limited. However, they may require more complex design and manufacturing processes, resulting in higher costs.

In terms of performance, it is difficult to make a general comparison as it ultimately depends on the specific design and implementation of the phased array. However, in terms of directivity and interference rejection, loop and folded dipole arrays may have an advantage. On the other hand, dipole arrays may be more suitable for broad bandwidth applications.

In conclusion, the choice between dipole constituted phased arrays and loop or folded dipole antenna constituted phased arrays should be based on the specific needs and requirements of the application. It is important to carefully evaluate the pros and cons of each type and choose the one that best fits the desired performance and budget.

FAQ: Comparison(Phased arrays) your point of view required

1. What is a phased array in comparison to other types of arrays?

A phased array is a type of antenna array that uses multiple antenna elements to create a beam of radio waves that can be steered and controlled electronically. This is in contrast to other types of arrays, such as a passive array, where the beam is physically steered by moving the entire array.

2. How does a phased array differ from a traditional antenna?

A traditional antenna typically has one antenna element that is responsible for both transmitting and receiving signals. In comparison, a phased array has multiple antenna elements that work together to transmit and receive signals, allowing for more control and flexibility in directing the beam.

3. What are the advantages of using a phased array?

One advantage of using a phased array is its ability to steer and shape the beam of radio waves. This allows for more precise targeting of signals, which can improve signal strength and reduce interference. Additionally, phased arrays are typically smaller and more compact than traditional antennas, making them ideal for use in smaller spaces.

4. Are there any limitations to using a phased array?

One limitation of phased arrays is their reliance on electronic components, which can be vulnerable to interference and damage. Additionally, the cost of implementing and maintaining a phased array system can be higher than traditional antennas. Furthermore, phased arrays typically have limited bandwidth, which can restrict their use for certain applications.

5. How is a phased array used in radar and communication systems?

Phased arrays are commonly used in radar and communication systems due to their ability to steer and shape the beam of radio waves. In radar systems, phased arrays allow for more precise targeting of radar signals, allowing for better detection and tracking of objects. In communication systems, phased arrays can be used to improve signal strength and reduce interference, leading to clearer and more reliable communication.

Back