1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compass Between two wires

1. Jan 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    two wires are parallel to each other,carries current of same magnitude, and the distance between them is 10cm ,, wire A carries current out of the page ,, Wire B carries current into the page ..... A compass is placed at 4 cm from wire A .. Where does the needle point ?

I also would like to know where does the needle will point if the two wires carries same current direction

2. Relevant equations
    -
    same current direction - Attraction
    opposite current direction - Repulsion
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew the magnetic field around each wire(Wire A-Anticlockwise ... Wire B-Clock wise) , but since the field is circular around a straight wire , so I couldnt know where it will point exactly .

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It will be tangent to the circle at any location around the circle.

4. Jan 17, 2015 #3
    so the other wire wont affect the direction of the needle unless the compass was at mid point ?

5. Jan 17, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

No, the fields from both wires will sum at any given location (superposition principle). Pick a location and sketch the circles centered on each wire that pass though that point. Sketch in the field vector at that point for each wire. Sum the vectors.

6. Jan 17, 2015 #5
    alright thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted